How to set up email handler for Commenting on issue from Outlook?

Ernesto Donate October 5, 2017

Whenever I receive an issue update in outlook, and I reply  from outlook, my comment in the issue shows :my comment, and below it is the jira issue update. I want to be able reply from outlook so that only my comment shows, and not the jira issue update that i received.

I am using Jira core cloud. I think this may be an email handler issue but i'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.   Below is a snapshot of what the comment looks like in the issue. I want only what is in the red box to show but, i get all the stuff below  too.

2017-10-05_16-57-43.png

Thank You, 

Ernesto 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2017

If your comment includes the previous message, then your email client is actually the one responsible for including that previous message, not Jira.

I would recommend following the steps in Change how the original message appears in replies and forwards.  This guide has an option to never include the previous message in your reply.   If you set this up, then the next time you reply to a message like this, it should not include your previous message.

Ernesto Donate October 6, 2017

Hi Andrew, 

If I do what you suggested wouldn't that also effect email chains for emails that stay within outlook. In other words, if someone from my office emails me in outlook, and I reply , my reply to them will only show my message and not their original message to me?  I do not want to lose email chains in outlook.  
Thanks

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2017

Sorry for the misunderstanding.   It might be possible for the mail handler option in Jira Cloud to be able to handle this better.   Turning off these quoted message replies in Outlook is one way to do this, but if you don't want to do that, then try these steps:

1. Navigate to Cog Icon -> System -> Incoming Mail
  2. Under the section for Mail Handlers, you should have at least one existing mail handler that takes care of messages sent to an existing mailbox. By default, Cloud has one of these that is using the "Cloud Email Handler", click the Edit button here
    editmailhand.png
  3. Choose a different mail handler.  In this case, you can try to use a mail handler such as "Add a comment from the non quoted body".   This specific mail handler should then be able to strip out the quoted section.

Try these steps and let me know if this helps.

Suggest an answer