How to set the value of user picket custom field

Aron Felberbaum June 17, 2015

Would like to set the value of a custom user picker filed in transition post function

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

You'll need an addon that provides such a post-function, or one of the scripting options like Script runner.

Once you've decided which route to take there, then we can probably help you (although it's "get user, put user in field" really)

Aron Felberbaum June 17, 2015

Which addon would you recommend

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

Script runner. Always. (I'd have said that before either Jamie or I joined Atlassian, it's the one I've always turned to when something "clever" is needed)

Aron Felberbaum June 18, 2015

I have Script Runner installed, I'm still new to Jira, could you provide sample code. I'm looking to set user picker custom field to a specific user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2015

Sorry Aron, missed the email update. I just rummage through Jamie's docs for examples - https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Post+Functions+With+Comments might be a good start though, as it's got custom field code and some stuff around users.

Aron Felberbaum June 19, 2015

Was trying the script below and it does not work, following is the error from the log file.

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.UserCFType.getDbValueFromObject(UserCFType.java:79)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.AbstractSingleFieldType.createValue(AbstractSingleFieldType.java:161)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.createValue(CustomFieldImpl.java:831)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.updateValue(CustomFieldImpl.java:505)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.updateValue(CustomFieldImpl.java:487)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.OrderableField$updateValue.call(Unknown Source)
	at Script5.run(Script5.groovy:22)
import org.apache.log4j.Category
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.IssueChangeHolder

log = Category.getInstance("com.onresolve.jira.groovy.CopyRegEx")

// Enter parameters here
// The example converts a reporter, which in my case has the format: Echlin, Jamie: DEPT (LOC), to Jamie Echlin - LOC.
def targetFieldName = "customfield_11103"

ComponentManager componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = componentManager.getCustomFieldManager()
CustomField customFieldTarget = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(targetFieldName)

def sourceVal = "mosheeh"

IssueChangeHolder changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder();
customFieldTarget.updateValue(null, issue, new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(customFieldTarget), sourceVal), changeHolder)

Suggest an answer