How to set screen scheme as default for projects

Adam Bawany August 24, 2017

I have setup my custom "Issue Type Screen Scheme", but every time i create a new project, it creates it's own new "CT: Scrum Issue Type Screen Scheme", and i have to change it from project setting, and keeping it's remainder is pain as hell. 

I can't find how i can make my custom screen scheme as default, so all my new projects get the screen scheme the one i want rather than creating their own.

Thanks,
Adam

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2017

Hi  Adam,

Take a look at the Defining a project documentation for more information on how this works:

• When you create a new project from a template, that project is created with its own set of schemes. These schemes are:
    • a permission scheme (default)
    • a notification scheme (default)
    • an issue security scheme
    • a workflow scheme
    • an issue type scheme
    • an issue type screen scheme
    • a field configuration scheme (default)
  • Sometimes you may wish to share schemes among your projects, so that editing one scheme changes that scheme in several projects at once.
  • You can select Create with shared configuration to select an existing project and to use that project's schemes. Note that when you're sharing schemes, any change to the scheme will affect all the projects using that scheme.

Cheers,

Branden

Chrisjir Parkin October 30, 2019

That's all very well, if you know enough to create a screen scheme before you create a project and then to use that option when you create the project.  But after you have created a project, and after you have created the Screen Scheme that you prefer to use, how can you delete the JIRA-created default screen scheme, now that you no longer need it?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2019

Hi @Chrisjir Parkin

Once you've created your new screen scheme - to delete the other one(s) you need to delete them from the top-down - this means:

1. As a Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > Issues
  2. Select Issue Type Screen Schemes from the left-hand menu
  3. Either delete the no longer needed one - or ensure the screens / screen schemes to remove are no longer in any of these Issue Type Screen Schemes
  4. Now select Screen Schemes from the left-hand menu
  5. As above, delete the Screen Schemes associated with the screens to remove - or ensure those screens aren't in any schemes
  6. Finally, select Screens from the left-hand menu and delete the unneeded screens

It should be easy to find each of these as they'll have the Project's Key at the start and a similar naming for the linked screens / schemes.

Ste

Chrisjir Parkin November 4, 2019

Thank you.

Jira documentation could be more helpful if it were to point out what to do in advance of having to remove it.  Then, we wouldn't have these extra steps to follow.  We'd have avoided the whole problem by standing up the project in a way that didn't create the defaults, first.

Like Senita likes this
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2019

I think it just takes time to find the right approach for you and your team.

The good thing about Jira's administration is it's very flexible - so you could:

• All have separate screens with a level of flexibility per team using the advanced Project Admin permissions
  • Have a set of screens you choose from post-creation
  • Share configuration across all projects at creation and avoid the defaults entirely

It'll take a little time to learn all the ins-and-outs, but once you do it gives you a great advantage in allowing your teams to work the way they want to :)

Ste

Like dD Wilson likes this

Suggest an answer