How to set project permissions so that only certain people can view/edit issues?

Sierra Chen March 21, 2017

My company is moving the hiring ticket templates into JIRA. Currently all of the templates are built and there's a permission group so that only hiring managers can create/view/edit tickets in the hiring project. There are also a couple of people outside of the hiring managers permission group that have all the same permissions as the group but I left out since they are in the HR department.

I need a way to set up the permissions so that a hiring manager in one department, lets say Accounting, can't see the tickets that a hiring manager in Sales created. But I need everyone in the actual HR department to be able to create/view/edit. Is there a way to do this? I've seen a bit about allowing users to browse only certain tickets but I need create/edit functions as well.

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2017

Hi Sierra,

you can do that with Issue Security Levels. Take a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html

You define an issue security level for each department and add the members of this department plus the HR people to that security level.

If such a security is set, just the members of the level are able to see the issue.

Suggest an answer