How to set privileges for user to give him access to selected projects and allow him to create new projects.

Maciej Teska September 21, 2014

Is there any way to set following privileges for the group:

-group has access to particular/selected projects

-group has ability to browse projects they have permission to see

-group has ability to create new projects

I have user whom I want to give access to some projects (not all of them) and still give him ability to create new projects which will be visible for him and me. Very important is to know that I have also project that I want to hide and not show to this user. 

Any idea please?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2014

Not in that order.

First, the ability to create projects is limited to JIRA and System administrators.  Who can manipulate the permissions of any project, so there's no chance of you hiding a project from this user.

Secondly, you'll need to unpick Jira's default permissions.  There is a group called "JIRA users" which people have to be in so they can log in.  That's fine in itself, but the group is repeatedly used in your projects to say "people in this group are users in this project", which means adding your chap to JIRA will grant him access to all your projects.

You need to do that, but to limit his access, you'll need to remove "JIRA users" from all the other projects (and from the "default into role of users" in roles admin) remembering to replace it with the individuals who should be users in the project.  Or you could create another group with the relevant access and can-log-in and remove him from jira-users (but you'll find all new users go into the new group automatically.  I tend to prefer repairing the way Jira-users is set up badly)

Suggest an answer