How to set or optmize the memory?

Gustavo Silva December 10, 2012

Since I upedated Jira to 5.2 version, our server is using high amount of memory.

The tomcat 7.0 sometimes use 750mb of memory, and our server only has 2gb.

I also try to change directly for tomcat7w.exe, but did not succeed, in this 2 cases I've tried to limit 512 of memory.

I have the Confluence running in my server as well, and a few other applications (jira as service).
I could buy more memory for my cloud server,
but each one is going to cost 100$ for 1GB.

Does the jira is going to use always the maximum of memory available?

What should I do for the stops to use always the maximum of memory available?

Following below the setenv.bat

rem --------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem Note: If running JIRA as a Service, settings in this file have no

rem effect. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Increasing+JIRA+memory</span<>>

rem

rem

rem One way to set the JIRA HOME path is here via this variable. Simply uncomment it and set a valid path like c:\jira\home. You can of course set it outside in the command terminal. That will also work.

rem

rem JIRA_HOME=""

rem ------------------...

echo If you encounter issues starting or stopping JIRA, please see the Troubleshooting guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installation+Troubleshooting+Guide</span<>>

echo.

IF "x%JIRA_HOME%x" == "xx" GOTO NOJIRAHOME2

echo Using JIRA_HOME: %JIRA_HOME%

:NOJIRAHOME2

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2012

Are you running Jira as a service?

Is anything else running on the machine?

On a based-on-experience rough idea, I wouldn't even bother running a production Jira installation on less than 1Gb of memory, and even that's the minimum for a small install (up to 25 users). Rather than trying to squeeze your services, you might find it quicker/cheaper/easier to get more memory for the box.

Gustavo Silva December 10, 2012

I have confluence running as well in the same server, and few other applications (Jira running as service). I could buy more memory for my cloud server, but it's going to cost me 100$ each one. I only have 6 users. Do you think if I get 2GB plus the Jira server will use all these 2GB? Or it might get stable at 1gb?

Suggest an answer