How to set default issue link type?

Attila Bódis October 18, 2017

Hi!

Is there any way to set the default issue link type, when I create a linked issue? I wanted to use the "relates to" link type by default, but don't want to delete the others.

Or how can I sort the existed issue link types (if it is possible)?

Thanks!

5 answers

3 votes
Floris.vanderZwaard October 4, 2023

We make use of Jira Cloud. We had ' is blocked by' as default as well, while we use 99% of the time ' relates to'. So we would like to have this type as default.
I tried the steps of @Attila Bódis , but it worked slightly different.

So we had this:

2023-10-04 08_48_03-Window.png

but would like to have the 'relates to' as default. To achieve this you must make sure the ' relates to'  is on top of the list in the setting.
To get to the settings in step 2, Click the settings icon in the far right top left to your avatar and select Issues. On the issues page look in the left column for  'issue linking' under the 'ISSUE FEATURES'  section.
I tried changing the ' Outward Description' , 'Inward Description'  and ' Name' , but only after changing the 'Name' the 'relates to' type moved to the top of the list and made this type the default type as well. See screenshots below. Make sure you test it in a new browser session to ommit caching stuff.

Chaning the 'Outward Description'  did not move the ' relates to'  type to the top and/or to default:
2023-10-04 08_55_42-Window.png

Change the Name and moved 'relates to' to the top of the list and the default value.:

2023-10-04 08_56_57-Window.png

2023-10-04 08_58_01-Window.png

2 votes
Rob Lawson August 18, 2020

Hopefully this helps:

It appears you can achieve this by adjusting the name. The sort is based of the name value (alphabetically). What I did was edit the types and added a number series in front of the name and it sorted in numeric order. You do not necessarily need to change the values in the Outward or Inward descriptions unless you desire to. Once you go back to your issue or create a new issue the proper sort will be in place the way you designed it. For us we wanted related to the default. 

Issues Linking Type.png

Melanie Lessard November 2, 2020

thanks.

worked for me.

I put 1 in front of Relates and now Relates to displays in first.

Like # people like this
Alex March 31, 2021

Unfortunately, this trick won't help if you want to have one of the "inward descriptions" on top pf the list...

Patrick Harrold August 8, 2022

This worked for me. Thank you.

Like Rob Lawson likes this
0 votes
CP July 24, 2022

* or numbering did not work for me either (cloud.)  Perhaps you can do this and try re-indexing and it might (pun intended) sort itself out.

The only one we ever use is "relates," so simply deleted the rest of the options, which solves the issue in its own way.  Can always add back

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

Issue links are ordered alphabetically based on the link name.  If you have a link type that you would like to place at the top of the list place a * in front of the link name.  This will place it at the top making the first or default in the list.  The Outward Description and Inward Description can be whatever you would like it to be.

Attila Bódis October 19, 2017

I tried this earlier, but didn't worked for me. :(

Brian B. March 11, 2019

Doesn't work for JIRA Service Desk cloud either. I'm going to submit a ticket referencing the article to see if Atlassian can confirm that this workaround is an option.

Marcus Lillemägi August 28, 2019

Tried this as well and did not work!

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2020

This did not work for me in the new view or the classic view

Mick Flanigan May 25, 2022

Atlassian needs to build an Issue Link Scheme, just like they did with Priorities, except take it to the level of Project AND Issue type. This way for a given Issue Type in a project, I can allow only certain link types and set a default there that is different than the other issuetypes in that project. 

Like # people like this
S Fong May 25, 2022

To trick the system to place in the order as you wish, I placed a number in front of the name.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2017

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-I-change-the-default-link-type-from-quot-Cloned-to-quot-to/qaq-p/443313 suggests that the default link type is the one with the first name alphabetically. But I'm seeing other results in my JIRA instances. The issue in jac is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-31425 but is Closed, Won't FIx.

Update: it remembers your last choice

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

The * applied to the Name works since the link name is alphabetically ordered.  What you see in the link dropdown will be based on the order of the link name and not alphabetically ordered because it uses the outward and inward descriptions.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2017

Perhaps that's true when you first add a link. After that I think JIRA remembers your last choice?

Attila Bódis October 19, 2017

Thank you for the answers!

I think I found a solution, at least it's working for me. The method is the following:

1. Check, what is the default issue link type now.

2. Go to Issue linking settings, and search for the currently default link type.

3. Edit this, rename the Outward Description of the issue link type by typing a * before its description (for example: *causes)

4. Check again the default issue link type. Is it now what you want? If yes, it's done. If not, then start it again from step 2. (maybe you need to rename the Inward Description too, if the default issue link type is became one of them)

I tested it on 3 different instances and worked, so I hope this is a valid solution. :)

S Fong July 8, 2020

Does this work on the Jira Cloud version?  I tried to put an * in front of the name, outward description and inward description.  It is still showing me "is blocked by" as default when I click onto the "link issues" button on the actual issue itself.  

Floris.vanderZwaard October 4, 2023

@Attila Bódis , thanks for pointing in the right direction, but it worked slightly different for us. Put it in a separate post.

Like Attila Bódis likes this

Suggest an answer