How to set a scripted field to get a date from another field ?

Aisha M April 5, 2019

I need to set up a scripted date field that picks a date from the Due date field.

The scripted date field must pick the most furthest date from that field.

Can someone please help with a script or a similar script that matches this scenario. Thank you 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2019

Hi,

What do you mean by "The scripted date field must pick the most furthest date from that field." ?

Aisha M April 8, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Thank you for the reply.

So, We want to have a scripted date field in "PROGRAM EPIC" issue type

This scripted field must display the farthest date value from the DUE DATE field available in EPIC (related to the Program Epic)

Example:

EPIC 1 (due date) - 4/9/19

EPIC 2 (due date) - 3/9/19

EPIC 2 (due date) - 1/9/19

PROGRAM EPIC (scripted date field) - 4/9/19

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2019

Hi,

I am sorry my brain might be a bit slow on monday morning. Could you provide a screenshot ?

I guess you have a custom issue type (program epic), and you are linking epics to it ? And you want to retrieve the farthest date from all these linked epics ?

Aisha M April 8, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Lol :) Unfortunately we have the screentshot options disabled for security reasons.

But your understanding is absolutely correct ! 

Aisha M May 21, 2019

@Antoine Berry Sorry for troubling you. But, can I please some some help on this. I tried using the script mentioned in the below comment, but did not work

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2019

Hi @Aisha M ,

I have had a hard time solving this, as I did not have much experience with scripted fields, but I am glad I succeeded ! 

Here is the script I used : 

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.IssueLink;
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import java.sql.Timestamp

def allOutIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getOutwardLinks(issue.getId()))
def issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"}
def farthestDate

for(IssueLink issueLink : issueLinks){
def dueDate = issueLink.getDestinationObject().getDueDate()

if (farthestDate == null){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
else if (dueDate?.after(farthestDate)){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

def allInIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(issue.getId()));
issueLinks = allInIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getSourceObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"}

def dueDate = issueLink.getSourceObject().getDueDate()

farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

It checks against the due dates of all linked issues of type "Epic" (make sure this is the exact issue type name).

Screenshot of the configuration : 

image.png

Result : 

image.png

Let me know if that works for you !

Antoine

Aisha M May 22, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Thank you soo much for taking your time on this ! :)

So, this script picks the fathest due date out of all the epics and displays at the Program Epic (higher hierarchy than epic)  level ?

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2019

Yes, you need to configure the field to be displayed on Program Epic issue type only :

image.png

Aisha M May 22, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Omg ! It worked !! Thank you so much . .  you are a genius ! ! :) I ll trt testing it out a couple more times and see if I face any backend issues ! Wow yer the best !!!

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2019

Ahah, I'm glad it worked out. :)

If you have any problem feel free to come back to me !

Like Aisha M likes this
Aisha M June 24, 2019

@Antoine Berry Just a small request, Is it possible include in the script the below scenario,

If any of the Epic due dates are empty, then the Program epic due date must be empty too.

Thank you :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2019

Hi @Aisha M ,

Sorry, I was out of office. I modified the script above so that if any linked Epic has no due date, the program epic du date will be empty : 

def allOutIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getOutwardLinks(issue.getId()))
def issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"}
def farthestDate

if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
else if (farthestDate == null){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

def allInIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(issue.getId()));
issueLinks = allInIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getSourceObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"}

if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

Antoine

Aisha M July 5, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Thank you ! Will test this out and let you know :) . .  So grateful for your help all the time  :):) Thanks again

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Aisha M July 10, 2019

@Antoine Berry  Works PERFECT !!!! Thanks a million ! :)

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2019

Always glad to help ! Glad it worked out. :)

Aisha M February 17, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hi Antoine, I m so thankful for your solution to this question. Its been going absolutely perfect. But unfortunately, the script fails if any of the EPIC is empty and in a cancelled status. Can you please help with modifying the script so that it skips EPICS which are in CANCELLED status ?

Thank you ! 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2020

Hi @Aisha M , 

Glad it has been working so far. I do not see why the script would fail because of a status since it is not tested. Could you please link screenshots to illustrate the issue, especially what "cancelled" means please?

@Antoine Berry Hi Antoine, Due to security reasons, we have Screenshots disabled. So sorry

'Cancelled' is a status we move an issue if we don't want to pursue further. More like, if something gets dropped or if an issue is a replication or was created by mistake, we move that issue to Cancelled status.

So the issue here is, sometimes when an Epic Due Date is empty AND is in cancelled status, it interferes with how the scripted Program Epic Due Date behaves(Since the criteria for this scripted field is to show the farther Epic Due Date, and if any Epic Due Date is empty, this scripted field must be empty too. So, I want the script to neglect an epic if its Epic due date is empty & in Cancelled status

Hope my explanation makes sense. 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2020

I think I have understood, please try this script instead : 

def farthestDate

def status = issueLink.getDestinationObject().getStatus().getName()

farthestDate = dueDate
}
else if (dueDate?.after(farthestDate) && status != "Cancelled"){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

def status = issueLink.getSourceObject().getStatus().getName()

farthestDate = dueDate
}
else if (dueDate?.after(farthestDate) && status != "Cancelled"){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

Replace "Cancelled" by the exact status name of your jira instance.

@Antoine Berry  You are the best ! Thank you. Will it be possible to skip on CANCELLED Epic altogether irrespective of their Epic Due Date value ? Thank you

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2020

Well this script skips epics in "Cancelled" status, is it not what you are aiming for ?

Aisha M February 18, 2020

@Antoine Berry  Yes, that should do :) Thank you so much ! Also, if an issue is brought back to WORKING status from a CANCELLED status, the script wont fail and catch that right ? 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2020

The calculated field is calculated each time you load the issue. So no, the script will not fail and catch the date from a "Working" epic. :)

Aisha M February 18, 2020

@Antoine Berry  Thank you so so much !! :) Will test it out and let you know how it goes :)

Aisha M March 2, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , I tested the script, but its ignoring the Epics which does not have a Due Date irrespective of what status the issue is in and displays the farthest date of the remaining epics.  :(

I want the Program Epic Due Date to ignore the epics (with Due Dates/empty) which are moved to the Cancelled status.

Apart from that, the Program Epic Due Date must display the farthest date of the Epic Due Dates, & if any any Epic Due Date is empty, it must be empty too.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

I am sorry it is hard to catch-up each time and I am a bit confused. Could you please share an example of the current behaviour (and what is wrong about it) and an example of the targeted behaviour ?

Be as precise as possible because I am sick atm and cannot focus for too long (don't worry it's not the corona virus :D).

Aisha M March 2, 2020

@Antoine Berry Get well soon !! I really hope not :) I have had my dose of paranoia about the virus and stocked up on masks, but never wore them :D 

I feel terrible bothering you while your sick !

FIRST REQUIREMENT - 

PROGRAM EPIC DUE DATE must display the FARTHEST date out of the Epic DUE DATE values, but if any of the Epic DUE DATE is null, the scripted field must be null too. This is currently working absolutely fine ! (Thanks to you)

NEW REQUIREMENT - 

Exactly the same as above. But only exception is, this time the script must skip Epic issue types that are in CANCELLED status, irrespective of if they have a DUE DATE value or not. Basically it must ignore all Epic DUE DATE that are cancelled (filled/not filled). 

Please take care :):)

Aisha M March 4, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hello, Are you doing okay ? :O

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2020

@Aisha M Yes don't worry, I'm getting better already. :) I'm sorry I have been busy these last two days, I'll try to have a look by tomorrow. :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2020

@Aisha M ,

This is more clear now, please try this script : 

def farthestDate

def status = issueLink.getDestinationObject().getStatus().getName()

if (status != "Cancelled"){
if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}
}

def status = issueLink.getSourceObject().getStatus().getName()

if (status != "Cancelled"){
if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}
}

return farthestDate

This is working for "Cancelled" status (make sure this is the correct name with the capital C in Jira).

Like Aisha M likes this
Aisha M March 5, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hoping for your speed recovery :) Please get some good rest :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2020

@Aisha M , I almost fully recovered now. :) Have you tried the script ?

Aisha M March 9, 2020

@Antoine Berry Good to know :)
The script is working perfect ! Thank you so much !!! you are a genius with the Scriptrunner :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2020

Glad I could help ! I am really not, I just try to make it work based on all the knowledge collected here. :)

Aisha M March 9, 2020

@Antoine Berry  You are too humble :) You have helped me sooo much with JIRA, I owe it all to you :):)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2020

@Aisha M , As I said always glad to help. :) You can ping me if you need more assistance !

Like Aisha M likes this
Aisha M April 21, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hi Antonie. Hope you are well :)

Can you please help me with the below question. I want to know if there is a possibility to use Scriptrunner for updating the Issue Type Link Scheme while creating projects :)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-update-Issue-Type-Link-Scheme-during-project-creation/qaq-p/1354165#M73267

Thank you !

Aisha M April 21, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , Can you please help me with the above question :) 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

I am sorry I have been busy lately. It has been a long time since I used Jira CLI, so I am not sure I could help there. But I see that your issue is being handled by the support, is it getting fixed ?

Aisha M April 27, 2020

@Antoine Berry  It okay :)

I don't think so, its impossible to view the ticket , the link is always broken. Also, I looked in to see if I can achieve this using scriptrunner. But, it turns out the LINK SCHEME is an extention of a plugin - Extended schemes for JIRA. So, one person told me that we can't work with Scriptrunner to work on a 3rd party plugin . . :(

Incase you are interested, link to he same question with the Scriptrunner help - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-use-Scriptrunner-to-update-the-Issue-Type-scheme/qaq-p/1357002#M74194

Aisha M May 10, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , Hope you are well. :) Can you please help with one more modification to your above script please.

I want the script to work only to CHILD OF CUSTOM LINKS. Can you please help.

With Thank,

Najma

Aisha M May 12, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , can you please help me with your above script :(

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

I am sorry I am very busy at the moment. Also with the lockdown I do not have access to my development workstation. 

Could you please elaborate about "child of custom links" please ?

I'll try to check in the next two weeks.

Antoine

Aisha M May 14, 2020

@Antoine Berry Thank you for so much for responding back :) Hope you are well/

I'm using your below script to capture the dates of the Epic Due Date and post the farthest date at the Program Epic Due Date field (scripted field). If any of the Due Date in the Epic is empty, then the scripted field at the Program Epic returns empty.

The script is working great, but considers ALL of the epics associated with the Program Epic. Can you please help me modify the script so that ONLY the child of the Program Epic is considered and no other links

def farthestDate

if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

Thank you

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

I hope you are well. I am terribly sorry I have not answered before. I only just got access back to my development workstation now. Do you still need help on this ? 

If yes, could you please specify exactly what do you mean by "child of program epic" please ? Is that a custom issue link (maybe a screenshot would help) ?

Antoine

Aisha M June 29, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , Hope you are doing very well & in good health :) And please don't be sorry, I know the situation we are right now is crazy !! 
Actually, I somehow got some help and modified the script. After some thousands of trial its finally working with my modification :D 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2020

Yes I am doing very well for now :) And I am glad you sorted this out. 

Feel free to ask if you need help !

Like Aisha M likes this
Aisha M June 29, 2020

@Antoine Berry But thank you sooo much for all help you have done in the past :) I literally felt lost with ScriptRunners without you . . lol 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2020

I have been happy to help and will continue to be ! :)

Like Aisha M likes this
Aisha M July 1, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry :) I'm back already to seek your help . . sorry :( Can you please help me regarding the feasibility of the below requirement.

When an Epic's Due Date is populated, but the Baseline Due Date is blank, automatically populate the Baseline Due Date with the Due Date.

Other details:

• Epic ‘Baseline Due Date’ should be system-populated by the first Epic ‘Due Date’
  • Epic ‘Baseline Due Date’ should be system-required to exit "Planning" (A workflow status)
  • If the epic goes back to “Ready to planning” it should clear and restart the "Baseline Due Date’  
  • Once the first Baseline Due date is captured, users should not be able edit/override the Baseline Due Date

Let me know if I can open a new post for this :)

Thank you Antoine !

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

Please clear or explain these points, I am not sure I understood fully.

Example : User fills the Epic Due Date, so the Baseline Due Date is automatically filled with the same value. User udates Epic Due Date, the Baseline Due Date does not change ?

If the user transitions back to "Ready to planning" , the Baseline Due Date value is cleared eventhough there is an Epic Due Date ?

Aisha M July 2, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry ,

I realized you had helped me with an exact similar requirement before, please check the below link

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Questions/Need-help-with-Script-Listeners-to-copy-and-lock-a-field-value/qaq-p/1198878#U1423420

But, just one more question regarding the previous script you helped me with (the one wayyy above). 

So, you helped me with a scripted Program Epic Due Date field that captures the farthest value out of the Epic Due Date values, and if any of the Epic Due Date is empty. It returns null too.

So I have a question, my team wants to have the regular JIRA Due Date field at the Program Epic issue type and this field must show whatever value the scripted Program Epic Due Date is showing. Will it be possible ?

Thank you !

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2020

Hi @Aisha M , 

By "JIRA Due Date", Do you mean the due date of issues others than Epic ? 

As long as there is a link between issues, it is possible to copy values. But then ask yourself why do you need to copy, and why not use the source field. You do not want to get a "Field-ception".

Aisha M July 7, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry  So, basically, the below is the exact explanation,

So, we have a scripted Program Epic Due Date - This field displays the farthest Due Date (JIRA FIELD) value from the Child Epic of the Program Epic Issue type.

Example -

PROGRAM EPIC 1

Program Epic Due Date - 1st Dec

CHILD EPIC 1

Due Date - 1st Dec

CHILD EPIC 2

Due Date - 10th Aug

Since the above is the existing process, we have removed the Due Date (JIRA field) from the Program Epic issue type screens. Now, they want to have the Due Date field at the Program Epic issue type, and this Due Date must simply display whatever the Program Epic Due Date (Scripted field) is displaying without being editable. Is it possible, or should I add a new scripted field to simply copy and display the value ?

Hope I made sense..lol, I'm sorry :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2020

Yes that makes sense. Unfortunately you cannot add a new scripted field because, well, it creates a new field. So you would need a listener on the child epics to calculate the program due date each time one of the child due date is changed. 

That is if you need the field value in real time. Otherwise you could have a service running at regular intervals calculating the due date for each program epic.

On which screens can the users update the due date of the child epic ?

Aisha M July 9, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry  Will it be possible to create a Custom listener for the "Issue created" and "Issue Updated' events, for the Program Epic Issue Type alone ,that simply copies the value of the "Program Epic Due Date' value and display it at the regular Due Date (This Due Date I ll add it only to the View screen of the Program Epic issue type.

Also, the users update the Due Date while creating an Epic (So, the Due Date field is added to the Epic issue type screen)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2020

Do you wish to keep the Program Epic Due Date ?

Because what you are proposing (if I got it right) is : 

Step 1. User updates due date on Child epic 1.

Step 2. Program Epic Due Date (scripted field) is calculated on Program Epic. 

Step 3. Customer listener copies Program Epic Due Date on Due Date field.

Assuming that it works (i.e. step 3 always occurs after step 2 which I am not even sure), would you agree that step 2 is unnecessary ? We might as well directly copy the Due Date from the Child Epic to the Program Epic, right ?

That is why I am asking the screens used to change the Due Date on child epics, so that we can identify which events are triggered.

As a side note I think the scripted field is the most appriopriate way to achieve your requirement (calculated automatically, keeps the listeners clear and avoid to call a script when it is not needed) so I would really question the need of having the due date used instead.

Aisha M July 9, 2020

@Antoine Berry The reason we need Step 2 , is the scripted field only displays the farthest date out of ALL THE CHILD epics associated with that Program Epic Issue (thro issue links) and if any one of the Epic Due Date is  empty, this scripted field returns an empty value too. So, they really need it.

But, for tracking & audit purposes they want a Due Date field displaying the value whatever the scripted field is displaying. 

The Program Epic Due Date (scripted field) is updated when a Child Epic is created with the Due date, or even maybe when a Child Epic is later updated with the Due Date.

Aisha M July 15, 2020

@Antoine Berry  My manager was able to achieve this using JIRA Project Automation. lol . But, he has asked me to check if the listeners could work too.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2020

Well I am still not clear why you need the Program Epic due Date (scripted field) if the due date needs to be the exact copy. 

But if you need both the due date and the Program Epic due Date (scripted field), I would argue that scriptrunner might not be the best app to copy the value. It can be done (I think) but will add unecessary processing and harder maintenance.

If you achieved this with another app such as Project Automation, where all you have to do is configure the automatic replication I would use this.

The Program Epic due Date (scripted field) calculation is pretty cool with scriptrunner though I think and is probably the most suited app for that. 

Aisha M July 15, 2020

@Antoine Berry  Yayyy, the comments are back !! :D
Yes, true. But, there is a check box under the automation quoting that, the instance might get slow. So, they want to try out the listener option too.

Will it be possible to copy the these values for the Program Epic Issue type alone using the listeners ? Can you please help. 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

This is my first take : 

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.IssueIndexingService

if (issue.issue.getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"){

def programEpic
def allInIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(issue.getId()))

def issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Program Epic"}
if (issueLinks.isEmpty()){
issueLinks = allInIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getSourceObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Program Epic"}
if (!issueLinks.isEmpty()){
programEpic = issueLinks[0].getSourceObject()
}
}
else {
programEpic = issueLinks[0].getDestinationObject()
}

if (programEpic){
allOutIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getOutwardLinks(programEpic.getId()))
issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"}
def farthestDate
def issueIndexingService = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(IssueIndexingService)

if (dueDate == null){
programEpic.setDueDate(null)
programEpic.store()
issueIndexingService.reIndex(programEpic)
return
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

allInIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(programEpic.getId()));

if (dueDate == null){
programEpic.store()
return
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

programEpic.setDueDate(farthestDate)
programEpic.store()
}
}

Create a script listener on issue created/updated (or any event triggered by a due date change). This is assuming that your issue type name is "Epic" (first if condition).

The script then checks if there is a program epic linked. Then it goes through the same logic as above.

The problem is that the due date will be calculated each time the listener is triggered (for any other update as well)... We might want to improve that by creating two listeners, but let's see if this works first.

Aisha M July 17, 2020

@Antoine Berry Wow, I din realize the script would soo bigg. Will check now.

The copying values should be available at the Program Epic Issue Type

The Program Epic Due Date (available at the Program Epic Issue Type)

Due Date (copies what the above field is displaying, at the  Program Epic Issue Type)

Aisha M July 17, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , I tested out the script. I added the listener for "Issue created' & "Issue Updated". 

All the below scenario is displayed at the Program Epic Issue Type

The Due Date is displaying the Program Epic Due Date's value only the first time. Later, it does not change the value. 

When the Program Epic Due Date is empty, the Due Date is still showing the first value.

Then, when the Program Epic Due Date is showing a new value, the Due Date is still showing the first ever value & doesn't update with the changing values.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

By the way this script is not interacting with the Program Epic Due Date, it is just calculating on its own, following the same pattern.

So, it it works on the first time it is a good sign I guess. Now we need to debug why it is not working afterwards.

1st. Can you confirm that the issue types are exactly "Epic" and "Program Epic" (as I test against those values in the script) ?

2nd. On the script listener page, can you make sure the script listener is running when it is supposed to ? Is it failing ? 

image.png3rd. If it does not fail, you should add logs in the script to check what is executing (I can help if needed)

Aisha M July 17, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry ,

Yes, the issue names are correct.

Oh, so the listener, is re-doing the entire function taking place on the scripted field (Program Epic Due Date) and displaying the result at the regular Due Date field ?

I'm getting the below error on the listener page,

The following log information was produced by this execution. Use statements like:log.info("...") to record logging information.

2020-07-17 04:40:33,340 ERROR [runner.AbstractScriptListener]: *************************************************************************************
2020-07-17 04:40:33,341 ERROR [runner.AbstractScriptListener]: Script function failed on event: com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent, file: null
groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: issue for class: com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueImpl
 at Script21.run(Script21.groovy:6)
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

Oh, typo on my part... just remove one issue.

if (issue.getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"){
Aisha M July 20, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , Its not working unfortunately :( Anyway,  below are the steps I followed.

• Added the Due Date field to the view only screen of the Program Epic issue type 
  • Created the listeners for the "Issue created, Issue updates' events. 

But, the Due Date is not showing the value the Program Epic Due Date (scripted field) is showing when it changes. 

Example,

When I alter the Due Date in the Epic issue type to a more farther date, the Program Epic Due Date (scripted field) at the Program Epic issue type shows the new value, but the view only field Due Date at the Program Epic still shows the old value.

Also, below is the listener script we have for calculating the Program Epic Due Date. We had modified,

def farthestDate
def issueLinks

issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() { (it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic") && (it.getIssueLinkType().getOutward() == "Parent") }

if (dueDate == null){
return null
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

Yes I had provided a generic script, it is nice that you simplified it according to your context. I have simplified my listener script according to it and added some logs :

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.IssueIndexingService

log.error("working on issue : " + issue)
if (issue.getIssueType().getName() == "Epic"){

log.error("the issue is an Epic")
def programEpic
def allInIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(issue.getId()))

def issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Program Epic"}
if (issueLinks.isEmpty()){
issueLinks = allInIssueLink?.findAll() {it.getSourceObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Program Epic"}
if (!issueLinks.isEmpty()){
programEpic = issueLinks[0].getSourceObject()
}
}
else {
programEpic = issueLinks[0].getDestinationObject()
}

if (programEpic){
log.error("found the program epic : " + programEpic)
allOutIssueLink = new ArrayList<IssueLink>(ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getOutwardLinks(programEpic.getId()))
issueLinks = allOutIssueLink?.findAll() { (it.getDestinationObject().getIssueType().getName() == "Epic") && (it.getIssueLinkType().getOutward() == "Parent") }
def farthestDate
def issueIndexingService = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(IssueIndexingService)

if (dueDate == null){
programEpic.store()
log.error("the due date is null ! ")
return
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}
programEpic.setDueDate(farthestDate)
programEpic.store()
log.error("updating due date with value : " + farthestDate)
}
}

Please update your listener with this script. Add a due date on an Epic, check if the listener executed successfully with the method above, and provide the printed logs. That should help a lot fixing the issue.

Aisha M July 20, 2020

hello @Antoine Berry , Good news & bad news :D Well, the script is working if the Program Epic Due Date has a value. But, if the Program Epic Due Date (scripted field) is empty (Because if a Child Epic is empty), then the Due Date does not become empty, it shows the last value the scripted field was showing. 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

could you check the logs on the listener page please (G+G > Script listeners)

image.pngimage.pngCheck the date is correct and what went ok / wrong (you can paste the screenshot here).

Aisha M July 21, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry I was wrong I guess, its not working at all :( Due Date is not showing the value of the Program Epic Due Date, even if it shows an update value or null, the Due Date is still showing some older value.

I checked the log & there were no recent updates. It was still showing the date as yesterday.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

Okay but I need to see the logs to be able to help :D

• Update the value of the due date on an Epic
  • go on the script listener page, click the last execution of the listener
  • make sure it has been correctly triggered on the update by checking the date
  • provide the logs, as I have added some in the previous code to debug

If the scripted field does work, I see no reason why the listener would not.

Aisha M July 21, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hi. We have the snipping tool & Print screen disabled :D Sometimes,  I wonder if copy pasting the error could get me in trouble too :P 

The below log report is green . . with the following text

Time (on server): Tue Jul 21 2020 14:00:50 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)

The following log information was produced by this execution. Use statements like:log.info("...") to record logging information.

2020-07-21 03:30:50,946 ERROR [runner.AbstractScriptRunner]: working on issue : ADOM-45
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

Is ATLASDOM-45 an epic ?

Aisha M July 21, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry , No, its a Program Epic

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

Okay, makes sense then. the update will work when you update the due date on an Epic. 

Please do so and immediately check the script listener execution. 

It should start with 

working on issue : ATLASDOM-XXX

ATLASDOM-XXX being the Epic you just modified.

Then copy the rest of the log :)

Aisha M July 21, 2020

Hi @Antoine Berry But ADOM is the Program Epic. Also, when I update the Epic Due Date, the scripted field captures the change, but the listener enabled Due Date (at Program Epic) does not change.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

I need to make sure the listener is triggered when you update the due date of the Epic. Both Epic and Program Epic are in the same project right (ATLASDOM) ?

That is why I am asking for the logs, I cannot help if I do not know what is going on. I used the same script logic as the Scripted Field.

It is the Epic that triggers the update, not the Program Epic. So make sure the listener is triggered on the Epic Issue updated/Issue created.

Aisha M July 21, 2020

@Antoine Berry Oh okay . . . Actually both the Epic and Program Epic are related through the Child - Parent issue link.

Okay, I think, i got it. I had enabled the listener only for the Program Epic project & not the associated Epic project. Maybe that's the problem, its failing :O

Also, our DEV has crashed :D:D I ll test it soon, maybe I'll check & update tomorrow :)

Also, thank you so much, I really really owe you so much for all the help :) Nobody takes the effort to help this much ;( Thank you !!!!!!!!!! ^_^

Aisha M July 21, 2020

@Antoine Berry  Hi ! The script is working perfect after I added both the Program Epic & Epic related projects to the listener and now its working :):) yayyy, Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2020

Hi @Aisha M glad we could make it work eventually :)

Now you might want to disable the scripted field to avoid unecessary processing.

Would you mind creating a new question for this last part (just copy your requirements from above), so I could post a clean answer (better clarity for others) and get an accepted answer (would really appreciate it since it has been busy lately on my side). Same for the other question with discussed would be perfect. :)

Aisha M July 28, 2020

@Antoine Berry Most definitely !!!!

Can you please paste the answer to the below link,

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Need-help-with-listener-to-copy-a-scripted-field-value-to-a/qaq-p/1443107#M90173

Also, will there be any problem if the scripted field exists ?

Thank you so much !!!!

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2020

You might want to change the tag cloud to server (and maybe add groovyrunner) on the question. :) Thanks for creating it !

The scripted field is not a problem, but now you have a duplicate with the due date, and the scripted field is calculated each time the issue is loaded. So you might want to comment the code in the scripted field to avoid some processing. If you want to get it back, you can simply uncomment it.

Again you are welcome happy to help !

Aisha M July 29, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hello. I'm sorry, I couldn't understand :( What needs to be commented in the Scripted field ?

Will the users face any sort of confusion if the listener & the scripted field exists ? 

Aisha M July 30, 2020

TEST

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2020

Hi @Aisha M ,

You simply need to edit your scripted field : 

image.png

And add "/**" before the first line and "**/" after the last line. It will comment everything in between (which means the code will not be processed) : 

image.png

If you want back the value of the scripted field, just remove the "/**" and "**/" tags.

As for the user, it depends on which fields they are using. But as an admin you should try to remove the duplicates, especially when this one involves a processing each time an issue is loaded.

0 votes
Aisha M July 15, 2020

@Antoine Berry All the comments seems to have gone :o

I read your comment through an email notification though :) But, he insists to have the listener solution as well. Is it possible to simply copy the values and create a listener for "Issue created, and issue updated" events? 

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2020

Hi @Erica Moss! Sorry to disturb, but all the comments have disappeared from this question and this one as well. The history is empty... Maybe we have flooded too much ?

Thanks for helping, and sorry if you are not the one I needed to tag.

Aisha M July 15, 2020

@Antoine Berry The comments are gone for every post. Even the ones with very limited comments. FYI :)

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2020

Oh ok... I checked a few posts but the comments were still there... So it might be a global issue but still linked to specific posts ? Then I probably pinged Erica for nothing, I hope they will come back >_<

Aisha M July 15, 2020

@Antoine Berry I hope they fix it. You had helped me with a lot of solutions to script related questions, should be helpful for someone !

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2020

@Antoine Berry Hey, Antoine! I'm seeing a ton of comments on both of those posts, so perhaps it was temporary? Let me know.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2020

@Erica Moss Yes they have come back now ! :) Sorry for the disturbance.

Like Erica Moss likes this
0 votes
Tom _Automation Consultants_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 8, 2019
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager()
def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()

def dueDateField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Due Date")

List<IssueLink> linkedIssues = ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager().getInwardLinks(issue.getId())

if(linkedIssues.size() < 1){
return
}

def farthestDate = new Timestamp(Long.MIN_VALUE)

for(IssueLink iLink : linkedIssues){
def iLinkIssue = issueManager.getIssueObject(iLink.getId())

log.error(iLinkIssue.getId())
Timestamp dueDate = (Timestamp) iLinkIssue.getCustomFieldValue(dueDateField)

log.error(dueDate)
if(dueDate.after(farthestDate)){
farthestDate = dueDate
}
}

return farthestDate

You will need to configure your Farthest Date to be a Date Time range picker in the custom field settings page.

Aisha M April 8, 2019

@Tom _Automation Consultants_  

Thank you so much for the comment !

So, will the script display the farthest day of the Epics linked at the Program Epic (issue type higher than epic) level ? 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 9, 2019

@Aisha M 

No problem! Yes it will get the inward links of the Program Epic (as long as you put it on the screen for that issue type) which will be various Epics. From there it'll loop over the linked issues (there is no checking that they're of a specific issue type, you can add this in if there will be other issue types linked to this issue) and find the farthest date out of all their due dates.

Let me know if there are any problems!

Aisha M April 9, 2019

@Tom _Automation Consultants_ Thank you so so much for helping out ! :)

I did follow all of the steps. But my  Program Epic is not showing the farthest date from the due date values in epic. dunno where I m going wrong 

Marketplace Partner
April 9, 2019

@Aisha M  If you go to the Scripted Fields part of ScriptRunner in the Add-ons settings there will be outputs to the logs, could you attach a picture of the most recent log?

Also on the Program Epic issue can you in the Admin section select the Where is my field? button and search for the scripted fields name and attach that.

Aisha M April 9, 2019

@Tom _Automation Consultants_ Well, do to compliance issues, we do not have sceenshots emabled. But, I copied the log output,

2019-04-08 07:20:34,878 ERROR [customfield.GroovyCustomField]: *************************************************************************************
Script field failed on issue: ATLAS-570, field: Farthest Date
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getId() on null object
 at Script6.run(Script6.groovy:21)
Marketplace Partner
April 9, 2019
if(iLink == null){
continue;
}

can you add this bit of code just beneath the for(IssueLink iLink : linkedIssues){ part of the code. 

Aisha M April 11, 2019

@Tom _Automation Consultants_ The script seems okay with no errors (at the inline script screen). But I m still not able to see the farthest date field value on the PROGRAM EPIC issue. I have added the scripted field to the relevant screens & everything . . But still doesn't show up. Don't know where I'm going wrong. 

Suggest an answer