How to set a mandatory field on just one project?

Raul Comerzan December 6, 2015

Hi everyone,

I try to set two mandatory fields on just one project but I have an error. For example:

• The mandatory field is Description.
    -so i crate a second field named "Description" which I assigned 2 screen of a project (project in question)
    - now i have two "Description" fields
    mandatory fields.PNG
    -now it's fine on that project, the field is required. 
    required field.PNG

• The problem is on the other projects where i meet the error "Description field is required", but the project don't use the required field: 
    descr.PNGrequired field.PNG

How can I fix this?

Thanks a lot,
Raul 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2015

First, remove the second "description" field, you don't need it, and it's just going to confuse things.

Second, look at the field configuration scheme for your project, and do two things:

1.  Work out field configuration it says to use (there is often only one, but you have to check - the scheme lets you have different field configs for each issue type in the project)
  2. Copy the field configuration scheme and give it a new name

Now, find the field configuration in use and copy that.  Change the new scheme to use the new field configuration, and then, finally, flip the mandatory/optional flag for "description" in that scheme.

Raul Comerzan December 18, 2015

Hi Nic,

I made the changes that you said and now i have to 2 Field Scheme configuration.
I assigned one of them at the project and on that scheme i flip the request button as you said, but the problem is that if i flip to mandatory, the changes are spreading on the other projects even if the rest of project have assigned the Default Field Scheme (on copy scheme i select just that screen what i need, than the field disappear from the create issue windows on the rest of projects)

image2015-12-18 16:12:53.png

• For project where i want to make the change:

image2015-12-18 16:13:51.png

• On another project:

image2015-12-18 16:14:34.png

How can i fix it?

Thanks,
Raul 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2015

Ok, take a step back and look at the schemes you are changing carefully. Each "field configuration" is a shared configuration object. It can be used in many "field configuration schemes". So if you change a mandatory flag in a "field configuration", *all* projects using *any* "field configuration scheme" that uses it will be affected. It sounds to me like you are changing the mandatory flag in a shared configuration. Try reversing it - take the one project that needs to be different from the default and setting up a new "field configuration scheme" just for that project, and then set up new "field configurations" just for that scheme. That will isolate it from the other projects and you can set the flags as you see fit.

Raul Comerzan December 28, 2015

I create a new Field Configuration Scheme named "Field Configuration 29.12.2015" but after i created the scheme, it takes automatic the default field configuration with all screens and all project assigned on it.

Can you provide me phone support? The problem take too long and PM does not want delay again.

Thanks,
Raul 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2015

Yes, you've only got part way through the instructions - you need to carry on and create the field configurations as well, and add them to the field configuration scheme.

Raul Comerzan December 29, 2015

If I add a new field configuration and I add it on the Field Configuration Scheme a will have two similar fields, and if i remove the older one after that is affecting the project because i will can not see the description on the older issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2015

No, you won't "have two similar fields". You'll have one field that behaves one way for some types of issue, and the *same* field behaving differently for other types. Field configurations do NOT add fields, they just control some of the options about the way they work in different places.

Raul Comerzan January 5, 2016

Hi Nic, I'm sorry because i am so insistent but i think i had done what you tell me until now but nothing new. The new field configuration what i created i associated with that project but the same problem, it is connected with the default field scheme. Thanks!

Bulk-Ops February 20, 2020

After assigning the field configuration to the project , you can add fields to the screen which you want . 

Suggest an answer