How to set a default value for Description field

Dejan Kocic June 10, 2017

I would like to have some text (default value) for the Descriptoin field. How to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2017

People tend to do this with some injected javascript or (better) add-ons that inject simpilar code into a create screen.  It's not that hard to do "if create screen, then set description = <default text>"

However, every place I've been to that has done it, I've ended up removing it, because they have thousands of pointless or useless issues they have to kill off manually or chase up with <default text> in the description field.

Question why you want to do this, it's usually a waste of time just doing "default description", and often better to have dedicated fields instead, set mandatory.  (For example, on stories, instead of injecting "as a ..., I want to..., so that..." in the description, have the who what and why as three separate mandatory fields)

Dejan Kocic June 11, 2017

We are using hosted Jira, so not sure can we do this.

We want to have some default text in Edit and Text fields as a user tip what to insert (contextual help like content).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2017

Good point, on Cloud, there's nothing available to do this that I know of.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2017

I agree with Nic, it may initially sound like a good idea, but in the long run it isn't

Dejan Kocic June 12, 2017

I dont need it for the long run. I need it for one project which will last for a limited time. So, I need it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2017

It's a moot point - there's no way to do it on Cloud.  (You don't need it in the short term either, it's poor design)

Vineela Durbha August 26, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I have checked on Adapatavist page on how to set default description and tried it in initialiser as per https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/tutorials/behaviours-tutorial.html#_add_a_default_description_behaviour. But it is not working.

Any idea what else is missing?

Suggest an answer