How to set a custom field based on the fixed version?

Ryan Gleim September 10, 2013

I'm trying to figure out an easy way to set a custom field based on the version of the project I'm working on. The field happens to be phase (prototype, development, verification, validation). This field needs to be set based on the version I'm working on for example:

Version: 1.3 phase: Verification

Version: 2.0 phase: prototype

When I set the fixed version, I want the phase set automatically.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Gleim September 12, 2013

I was able to fix this using Jira Workflow Toolbox (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox)

You can also find it in the Add-on Marketplace.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

I think this all depends on your definition of "easy". We do this sort of thing with external applications that browse for field changes and update other fields using REST. This works but the calculated field takes a few minutes to get recalculated (how fast we poll for changes).

This being a field update you wouldn't be able to do it nicely in a transition unless the version is actually changed in a transition. Regardless, you're going to need to do some programming.

Ryan Gleim September 10, 2013

Well my hope was that I would do it on the create transition because the fixed version is required when an issue is created.

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

Hi Ryan,

If the customfield(phase) is present on create screen, you can use javascript which read the version and it should set the phase.

Otherwise, you can create workflow postfunction with your requirement and place in the create transition.For that refer Workflow tutorial1 and Workflow tutorial2

Suggest an answer