How to set Mandatory field based on Resolution field value ?

Kaviyarasan Ramalingam May 9, 2016

How to achieve setting the Mandatory field based on Resolution field value ?

Currently we are using Cloud JIRA.

8 answers

1 vote
Kaviyarasan Ramalingam May 9, 2016

Thanks @Joe Pitt. Yes, I'm looking for the same transition.

For Eg:  If Resolution Field is marked as Fixed, then some custom fields should be mandatory. For other option it can be normal.

Workflow shouldn't allow users to change the issue status to Resolved unless they updated the mandatory custom fields which ever we are setting as mandatory. (when resolution is marked as Fixed).

- Kavi

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2016

As I said, since you're in the cloud version I believe you're out of luck

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

There may be a solution if you use a listener (I've never used one). You need to look at the resolution being set and then require the fields. All other solutions require the resolution to be set BEFORE the transition is made. The work around is to have multiple transitions AFTER the resolution is set, each one with the condition of the resolution field and requiring the fields with JSU or other plugin. 

0 votes
ckincaid May 28, 2019

Has anyone achieved this using Jira on-prem?

0 votes
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2019

Does anyone got it work. Root Cause field required based on Resolution field value selection to "Fixed". In the transition form if user select "Fixed" for Resolution field then Root Cause field should set to required otherwise no. How I can achieve this?

0 votes
Celina Kincaid October 2, 2018

Curious how to do the same...

"Require a custom field ONLY upon selection of Resolution 'Fixed'."

0 votes
Maya Hocherman August 28, 2018

Hi, I want to do the same. Can someone guide me how to write correct the validator?

We are using internal JIRA

Version  7.0.11

Thanks

0 votes
Deleted user January 4, 2017

I am looking into this issue now. We use on-prem server. I can see in the workflow validator where I can fields to be required, but how do I condition that based on the resolution? We want 5 custom fields to be required only if a particular resolution is set, else they can be left blank.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

If you are trying to require them on the same screen as setting the resolution I don't believe you can. The resolution value won't be set until AFTER the transition is complete. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2016

If you need to set it in the same transition where you set the resolution I believe you're out of luck since cloud doesn't allow scripting. If you want to do it after that transition you can use a combination of validators and post functions, which are available.

Suggest an answer