How to send notification email to the assignee's group?

Rumit Patel April 18, 2013

Hi, I am very new to JIRA so I might be asking a noob question.

I am using the default workflow of JIRA. Now, I want to send an email to BOTH assignee and assignee's group(a ML or a group level email) when any update is made to the issue i.e. created/assigned/comments added etc. I do see these events in the notification scheme, however I am not sure how to add the notification which would send an email to the group of the assignee. I do not have group picker field on my screen as I do not want user to specify the group to which the notification to be sent. It should do it automatically. Is it possible?

Regards,

Rumit

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2013

Simple, you can't.

There is a logical reason for this - think about the question "which group"? On one of my sites, I belong to around 45 groups. How do you know which one of these groups is valid? Worst case - *Everyone* is in jira-users on most sites.

Basically, there's no logical relationship from issue to users group that you can write a generalised rule for.

In fact, you've got close to a good option near the end of your question. Create the group picker field, but don't put it on edit screens. Then, write some code to choose the right group(s) and put it in the field.

Rumit Patel April 18, 2013

Hmm, even I thought so, but my manager forced me to find an other alternative if possible so ended up asking this question (Reason was obviously the last line :)). I can now think of two alternatives.

Alternative 1:

Somehow I program it to find the assignee's group (I know which group to be sent a notification out of the list of groups of the assignee) and send an email on a specific event. i.e. create issue. Is it possible to code it?

Alternative 2:

If alternative 1 is not possible at all then, lets say I put the group picker field then I want users to have a 'limited' options in the group list because if I give permission to 'Browser Users' under 'Global permissions', it would allow user to select any group which is not recommended.

Is there a way that I only allow certain groups to be listed/selected in the list and not all? I have a programming background but not in JIRA so in case some scripting is to be done, I would do it, the reason being, I've seen on some posts that you can also program your fields to list only certain values? But I'm not sure how to program in JIRA?

If you can suggest or guide me the right direction, it would be really helpful.

Suggest an answer