How to send an invitation to disabled user

Sona Evanesyan June 28, 2021

Hi, 

I have a user whose account was previously disable, and he is not even in the users list when I try to search as I removed him thinking that will be able to invite again with the same email. But when I try to send invitation, I get a a message that the user account is disable pls add other user details to be able to send invitation.

Pls give hints 

Thanks in advance

4 answers

0 votes
Артём
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2023

Hi

I am an administrator of a free Jira cloud account. I deleted a deactivated user by mistake. I cannot find it in my users directory – no option to reactivate it either. But when reinvite it, an error pops up leading me to the administrator (myself).  No option to reactivate as this user disappeared.

Can one get any support here?

0 votes

experiencing the same issue. The user I deleted didn't have one of those domains under our management. outside domain. I don't see her email or name anywhere in the list but an error pops up when I invite her again.

0 votes
Momina Wahab July 12, 2021

Facing a similar issue, though i'm fairly certain the user was not deleted by me or any of the other JIRA admins - i'm the only one who does user management on JIRA in my organization. I asked this user to self-signup with their G Suite, I believe he successfully did that but now he keeps getting the error that his account is diabled and I can't reinvite him either because I get the error that the user has been deactivated. HALP! 

(can't attach anything with this comment) 

Sona Evanesyan July 12, 2021

Hi , 

I raised a support ticket , gave user details and granted access for reinviting him. 
It come out that the user  data deleted by site admin , is still available in Organization admin view , and should be reactivated from there . So we got the solution.

Try to ask your org admin.

Like Brock Jolet likes this
Brock Jolet March 16, 2022

@Sona Evanesyan , 

Thank you! This was the breadcrumb I needed.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

You will need to get an admin to re-enable the account before you can re-invite it.

I am admin , but dont see any info on that account to re-enable or reinvite, He is not even in my list of users , where some are inactive

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Nic will know if the following theory is possible or not…

could it be that you deleted the user previously but left a number of issues that still had that users name associated to it, e.g. Assignee, reporter, watcher, etc.? This may have caused your current situation where you can’t add back that user email because it is seen by the system to already exist. In other words there are remnants in the database of the old user however you deleted it from the list of users. This is an example of why deleting users rather than simply disabling them can be such a bad idea. To test this theory you could try to create a JQL query with that username in one or more of the user fields. Now my guess is if this is the calls then you will need to reach out to Atlassian support to help you resolve it. However again I defer to Nic’s wisdom on this as he may know better. 

oh, and by the way, yes I do think that the software should prevent you from deleting a user if there are still references associated with that user.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

That sounds right.

Jira will not let you delete users who are assignees, the reporter or have commented on issues, which solves most of the problems caused by deleting users, but it can only do it for the internal directory.  If you're using any other type of directory (ldap AD, google, Atlassian accounts, Atlassian Access, etc), you can delete users from the directory and Jira cannot stop you even when it really really wants to.

If you delete externally, then Jira tries to patch over the damage by retaining a stub account internally, something it can show to you in the history as plain text, but it won't appear in user-pickers or even search.  (Oddly, search won't auto-suggest any inactive users, but you can still use them in searches if you're a bit sneaky and do what Jack says - use their username directly.  Deleting them completely breaks all of it barring the name in the history)

I think Jack has "hit the nail on the head" - you've deleted this user account, and I suspect that because you don't see them on any lists or searches.  A deactivated user would still show when you go into people management and list everyone (and you'd have the option to reactivate them there).  Because they have some history in Jira, it has retained a record of them and is hence struggling when you ask to reactivate something that isn't there in other places.

I would try Jack's test - running a search for "assignee = <username>" might give us some useful information (And I do mean the login ID - I disabled one of my client's accounts as an experiment - their system stopped recognising "assignee = Nic Brough" as a valid search, but did return the right result when I used "assignee = broughn", despite there being no auto-suggest)

But yes, I think you may need to go to Atlassian to get the account patched up to so you can re-activate.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Thanks for such detailed response ,

You are right I have deleted the user , so don't see him in the list . he has no task assigned now , and actually never had . 

Already raised a ticket to Atlassian.

Waiting for solution

Sona Evanesyan June 29, 2021

Agree about not letting to delete the account, as I deleted it yesterday ( And sure would not delete if it gives message that I will have a problem re-inviting that user if I delete him now. 

Regards

Sharleen Hill September 16, 2021

Sona - did you ever figure out a solution to this problem?  

Yuva January 25, 2022

Facing same, we deleted a user 2 months before. now we need to add the user same again. Error: "We were unable to send any invites because one or more accounts you invited are disabled. Remove these accounts from your invite and try again.", How and where to remove the accounts ? "I am the admin", i am not able to see any options like this. please help me too,, thanks in advance.

Like Dennis Mattei likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

You will need to re-add the user with the same user id, then Jira will be able to see it in the list of users.  Once that's done, you can remove the "user disabled" flag from the account.

Yuva January 25, 2022

Hi Nic,
After added the user, in details page we are getting this message "This user's Atlassian account has been disabled. Contact the user's organization administrators to enable the account.", I am the site admin. 
Please help in this to resolve.

Like Dennis Mattei likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

Ok, so did you remove the "disabled" flag from the account in the user directory?

Yuva January 25, 2022

Nic, it’s cloud account. I don’t see the options. Please tell me where we can find.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

In the user directory management system you have chosen.

CHILUMKURU March 24, 2022

I had same issue and able to reactivate by navigating to Directory -> Managed accounts -> reactivate account.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2022

You need to restore the account in your user directory.

CHILUMKURU March 24, 2022

Thanks Nic, I did same and was just mentioned in my previous comment for future reference if some one having this issue.

navigating to Directory -> Managed accounts -> reactivate account.

Dennis Mattei October 6, 2022

What if the user is not in the Directory?  I dont see them in either user list, and cannot send an invite

Suggest an answer