How to send an email with an attachment to an existing ticket as a comment?

Clive Richardson January 11, 2021

We have automated processes that we would like to automate further by allowing the process to send an email that will add a comment to an existing ticket and embed the attached file that was sent with the email.  Can this be done and, if so, how?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

maybe....

getting an email to result in a comment on another ticket can be tricky. The one key thing is to ensure the issue key (e.g. ABC-123) is in the subject. So the first question is where will this issuekey come into play? How will the automation rule acquire the issuekey. If it is static that is easy enough just hard-code it into the automation rule. However, I suspect that isn't the case here. 

Clive Richardson January 12, 2021

Thanks for the reply.  The process can encode the key into its inputs in some way as there is a manual step involved - so we can pass in the key at that point in a number of ways.

Clive Richardson January 12, 2021

As a test, I sent an email to 'jira@xxxxx.atlassiant.net' with the key in the subject file and a small text file attachment.  I received an email response saying that an update to the ticket was made by myself.  However, no updates visible in the ticket.  Why might that be the case?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

have a look at the email logs for that project (project settings > email requests > view logs) and find the entry for your email. Did it succeed or was there an error?

Suggest an answer