How to send a notification when new issue is added to JQL list of JIRA

Srinivasa Rajendra Pudi May 26, 2017

How to send a notification when new issue is added to JQL list of JIRA.

I have JQL filter which has 50 issues, I want to get notification from JIRA when any new issue is added to the list.

Updates on existing issues should not be notified.

Thanks,

SRIni

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

That's not how JQL works, it is not a list of issues, it is a filter.

In one sense, there's an easy answer to the question.  Issues are never "added" because it's not a list, so there's no need to send any notifications.  

What you need to do is run the filter regularly, with an extra clause that says "since the last time it was run".  So, take your existing filter and create a copy of it.  Let's say it's simply "project = X and resolution = unresolved".  Copy that and add "and created > -1h".  Now save the new filter, and then subscribe to it, setting the timer to 1 hour.

Srinivasa Rajendra Pudi May 26, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for looking into it.

But my requirement is different!

I have filter : (Project="A" OR Project="B") AND Fixversion="XYZ"

Presently it is listing 50+ issues I dont want to see any notifiaction for these existing issues but if at all new issue falls under this criteria I need to be notified.

As you mentined if I use created >-1h , It will not work. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2017

What "does not work"?  Adding the "created >-1h" means "created in the last hour".  What you're asking for is your filter plus that.

Have I misunderstood what you are looking for? 

Srinivasa Rajendra Pudi May 28, 2017

Let me explain you :-

1) (Project="A" OR Project="B") AND Fixversion="XYZ" is my filter.

If some updated an existing issue with fixversion="XYZ" the filter which you gave does not work.

If I add updated >-1h filter will notify for the all the issues which falls under the criteria.

What I am looking for is "There should be a way to compare the list of issues which were there.

and list of issues which are there in the filter  after certail point of time and notify for the newly added issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2017

I'm afraid the filter I gave you works perfectly for me, it tells me the issues that were created in the previous hour that match the project and version.There is no comparison function in JIRA, a filter simply tells you what matches the search when it is run.To get a list of issues "added" in the last hour, run(Project="A" OR Project="B") AND Fixversion="XYZ" and created >-1h

Srinivasa Rajendra Pudi May 28, 2017

What about the issues which are updted?

If a issue got created yesterday with no fix version values and if some one changes fixversion to "XYZ" today.

This also should be taken care

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2017

Ok, use updated instead of created.

But, think carefully, as you probably don't mean just "updated", you might want to think about "fixversion was changed to" type clauses.

Like Arjan Swinkels likes this

Suggest an answer