How to send Daily Test Execution Report to stakeholders with least manual intervention as possible

Karen Aung May 30, 2017

First step for me is to choose "Export >CSV" and open with excel.

My current manual intervention includes:

-          Export defect list from JIRA system, copy paste to excel

-          Populate data for Daily Defect list

-          Populate data for Closure Rate

-          Populate data for Ageing JIRA

-          Copy all graphs and descriptions to email

I would want to tackle the problem above by:

-          Automate all the points

-          Suggest to replace excel with another platform

-          Etc.

Currently we are not looking at purchasing tools to do this. What I have in mind is more of a Excel Macro approach to:

-          Accessing JIRA DB to retrieve defect data

-          Generate an email template based on the reporting data

One of the possible outcome for this is, in Excel:

-          One sheet for user to specify details (JIRA Project, defect search criteria, etc)

-          A button to click and generate all data, based on pre-build SQL statement in one sheet (using Macro)

-          A button to copy everything on the sheet to email template (using Macro)

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

Even if this is paid (yes, I understand you'd primarily look for a free solution), you may want to look at the Better Excel Plugin, because it enables solving the whole problem with a custom template, and reduces it to a single click. You can create the issue lists and charts, too.

You could even add the automatic emailing with the free Excel Automation Plugin.

Karen Aung June 4, 2017

So  could I just install the excel automation and get the automatic emailing? I am thinking of using Excel VBA Mail Merge, is this a good solution?

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Excel Automation does the emailing yes, but it delegates the Excel file generation task to the Better Excel Plugin. Therefore both are required.

(I don't know anything about VBA Mail Merge, sorry.)

Suggest an answer