How to select a custom field-select list based on Component selection

Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Hi
I want to select custom field list of options based on component, when i select a component, i want to display custom field-"release" select list related to that component only, can you help here.

I dont want to see all list of options of custom field, since that will be big list.

for e.g
i have components Portal, Web etc
i have custom field -"release" with select list = portal rel 1, portal rel 2, web rel 1, web rel 2 etc.
when i select Component "Portal ", i should see only portal release select list, how can i do this .
thanks for your help.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013
Thanks for suggestion, i did this with a groovy script.
Lacey McDonnell November 10, 2016

Can you share the script? I am currently struggling with getting it to work 

2 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

You need a custom field of type "Cascading Select" (Multiple select lists where the options for the second select list dynamically updates based on the value of the first).

0 votes
Tammy Robinson January 22, 2016

I would like to do the same.  I have a custom field that should contain different options depending on which component is chosen. If you use the Cascading Select, both fields need to be custom, correct? I have to use the system Component field cause I need its permission scheme. Is there any way to accomplish this? If it can be done with a script, can someone please post? Thanks

0 votes
Raju Adluru March 30, 2015

Hi Cherie

I did this for a client in 2013, sorry i dont have that script with me now, i will check in my archives to find it, mean while search in Answers, somebody else might have posted this.

0 votes
Cherie Mercer March 30, 2015

Hi @Raju Adluru,

I am desperately looking for this same functionality.   Please can you share the script? 

Suggest an answer