How to see git commits for a JIRA issue

Joris Debonnet June 15, 2015

I got a JIRA Agile trial, and succesfully connected our Bitbucket account (i.e. I see our repositories under Addons > DVCS Accounts).

I can succesfully create a new branch for an issue, but I can't seem to figure out how to see the commits that have been made on that branch. I only have a section "Development" which mentions the 1 branch that was created, with an option to create more branches. I get the impression that a section "Commits" (or something) is simply missing, and I don't know why. In JIRA Agile, I've seen the little branch-icon in several screenshots online, but I only see the {} icon.

How to activate this section, so I can see the commits on a branch that is (already succesfully) attached to a JIRA issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Juan Peraza June 15, 2015

Sorry for asking the obvious, but do the commits you're expecting to see have checkin comments that reference a JIRA issue?  In order for commits to appear in the Development section of an issue, I believe the commits must contain the id of the JIRA issue in the checkin comment.

0 votes
Joris Debonnet June 15, 2015

Okay, I assumed that simply by being in the branch (such as D2H-1-create-models), it would show up. I tried another commit by mentioning the issue in the commit message, and indeed it shows up: right under "1 branch" I now also see "1 commit".

I still don't get that separate section "Commits" though, which I do see in the animated picture under "Get Git right" on this page. My hope is that this would be something more 'automated', i.e. all commits on the linked branch(es). Perhaps this is only available for self-hosted JIRA and Stash then, and not for the Cloud version?

Suggest an answer