How to search only parent issues in JIRA?

Nikhil Bhasin February 19, 2013

Is there a way where we can only search parent issues and not sub-tasks in a project.

For example: If we have 1000 issues in a project out of which 100 are the parent issues and rest 900 are sub-tasks. SO is there a way to search only those 100 parent tasks in JIRA.

2 answers

11 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2013

Yes, select by issue type. Use "issuetype = A, B, C" where those three issue types are parent types.

JQL in later versions makes this more easy:

issuetype not in subtaskIssueTypes()
Nikhil Bhasin February 19, 2013

This is not helping me as I have 'Bug' issue type as a parent issue and 'Bug' as a subtask as well.

So its difficult to differentialte parent issues and subtasks on the basis of issue types :)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

or "issuetype in standardIssueTypes()"

If you use the function it should not matter if you have Bug as subtask and parent type.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2013

Um.

>as I have 'Bug' issue type as a parent issue and 'Bug' as a subtask as well

No, you don't. Probably. Issue names *must* be unique in Jira. I suspect you've probably got something like "Bug" and "Bug." or " Bug" (note the whitespace). If you have really got two issue types with the same name, then you've hacked something and you really do need to rename them to be unique or you'll run into problems.

The JQL will work, but I'm not sure exactly which version that function arrived in.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2013

Oops, thanks Jamie - I've only ever used "in subtaskType". Should have realised there was a similar one for parent types.

0 votes
rafael.angel May 22, 2016

If you know the parent issue and the project you can use the following advanced search through JQL:

project = <project KEY> AND parent = <issue KEY>

Suggest an answer