How to search for status types - e.g. yellow, blue, green - "To Do", "In Progress", "Done"?

Stephen Casey May 22, 2017

I'd like to write a query that finds all issues in a project that are currently in the backlog, all that are in delivery and all that are done.  The way I know these statuses is the green/blue/Yellow colours in the workflow - is that data available anywhere to JQL or would I have to write the query to explicitly include every status?

E.g. I have, Demand Plan (to do), Backlog (to do), In Development (in progress), Testing (in progress), UAT (in progress), Done (done) - something like (meta):

select where project = Myproject and status.type = "in progress" 

should give me anything in myproject that's "in development", "Testing" or "UAT"...?

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

The status category is searchable in JQL. For example:

project = "My Project" and statusCategory in ("In Progress")

This should return any issue in "My Project" that has a status in the "In Progress" category (in your case, that would include statuses "In Development," "Testing," and "UAT").

Bingo, thanks!  

mb July 8, 2022

Thank you so much, this helped us a lot.

geetha_bp March 14, 2023

But in few places status type will be many.  In that case Switch to Basic choose Project = "Project name" then Select Issue type = "issue type name" and then select Status category = "In progress".  This will filter by color code which all status is in Blue or any particular color.  If the workflow status is more than 10 or 15 then you can use above.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Try using the clause

statusCategory = in progress

It's an advanced JQL function

Only reason I'm picking the other solution is because it appears the statusCategory is case sensitive...  But 99% right!  Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2017

It offers you a selection as you type, so I never bother being fussy about case.

rachel rutti August 7, 2019

Do you have the query for selecting all the ticket types and the possible associated statuses for that type?  ... by chance.... )  Or is that a JIRA Core question?

Suggest an answer