How to - search for issues which are reopened?

Rumceisz April 4, 2013

Hi All,

we need a custom field which shows if the issue was ever reopened. The problem is that we don't use Reopened status: only Open (because of ITIL principles). Ever an issue was closed or resolved and need to be reopened then it will be in Open status again. So we cannot recognize the issues which are reopened because these also have Open status.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Rumi

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2013

I'd re-introduce re-opened as a status and scribble "ITIL doesn't work for us in this case" on your ITIL docs.

If you aren't willing to do that, then a bodge that might work:

1. Add a number field called something like "reopened count"
  2. Add a plugin that includes one of the "increment number field" post-functions
  3. Change the workflow - add the new post-function so that it adds one to the new field every time someone uses a "re open" transition

You can now filter for "reopened count > 0".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2013

And what Chaithra says - that requires no plugins, and might be good enough (the solution I've posted was needed before you could run JQL with "status changed" type clauses, and we needed a reopened counter, so it's persisted)

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

I personally like a number field; I create one called "Times Reopened", and on transition from Closed to Open I increase the value by 1. :)

EDIT - Oh jeez, totally didn't see Nic's comment - changed my answer to a comment! :D

Rumceisz April 4, 2013

Hi Natalie,

that's also a good idea.

Sadly it cannot be usable retrospectively (past time):(

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

Mmm, yes that is true - but if you impliment it now, then you might find it useful in the future! ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2013

Rumi is correct about the historical use of course. We did a bit of analysis and then posted data into some of the older issues, but it wasn't many.

4 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

You can use JQL query in filter to get the search result

Example: (status changed FROM Resolved To Open OR status changed FROM Closed To Open).

Suggest an answer