How to search for issues that all linked issues are resolved

Louis-Michel Sirois April 27, 2017

Hi, 

Is there a JQL that allows you to return all issues in a project for which linked issues have status = Resolved. If one of the linked issue status is not resolved, I don't want it to be returned by JQL query. 

Thanks.

2 answers

3 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2017

If you're on Server and have ScriptRunner installed, you can use this JQL or something similar. Note that this JQL returns issues which have at least ONE linked issue which has a status of Resolved - this does not check for all linked issues.

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("status = Resolved")

To my knowledge, this isn't possible out of the box.

Kevin Dekan February 7, 2018

Hi Alex,

I have ScriptRunner installed but am struggling with the query that returns issues where ALL linked issues are resolved. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks,

best regards,

Kevin.  

Pradeep Nair March 6, 2018

@Alex Christensen - wouldnt your query pick parent issues where the children are resolved? I dont  think thats what Kevin wants. I am in the same boat. Trying to identify parents with dependencies. But want to restrict the linked issues that are displayed to ONLY those aren't resolved.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

@Kevin Dekan @Pradeep Nair - what about something like this query?

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("resolution != Unresolved") and issueFunction not in linkedIssuesOf("resolution = Unresolved")

In my testing, I was able to get a list of issues in which all linked issues were resolved.

Like # people like this
Kevin Dekan March 7, 2018

Hi @Alex Christensen,

your query works great, thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Kevin. 

vashim shekh February 14, 2020

@Alex Christensen Thanks my condition will working.

I am very glad for your Answer..

"issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("resolution != Unresolved") and issueFunction not in linkedIssuesOf("resolution = Unresolved") AND project = Agile_Test_Project AND issuetype = Feature"

Thanks 

vashim shekh

INDIAN

Sebastian Knychas September 24, 2020

Hi,

Can i ask for explanation of this query:

"issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("resolution != Unresolved") and issueFunction not in linkedIssuesOf("resolution = Unresolved")

i used it for complex project structure where i have 3 projects and still can not understand the logic.

i wanted to list all items only from my project, that are not done but its parent (from other project) is done.

let say parent is from project A and i have linked as child epic from my project B.

item from project A is DONE but my subitem in NOT. i want to collet all such unresolved items from my projet.

Dylan Pokun September 29, 2020

Hi,

Oddly enough,  it seems that "issueFunction not in linkedIssuesOf" doesn't work anymore. I had to change it to "not issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf". Full JQL : 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("resolution != Unresolved") and not issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("resolution = Unresolved")

It's minor but it can be confusing for newbies :-).

Thanks a lot for this query @Alex Christensen

Regards,

Dylan 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jose Antonio Uribe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2022

To contribute to the thread, if the resolution contains an apostrophe you can escape it like this:

linkedIssuesOf("status = Closed and resolution = \"Won't Do\"")

Suggest an answer