How to search a Jira by key word (a CVE number) in Jira Summary

Joseph Cen September 7, 2022

I try to filter some assigned to me Jira item with below query.

... assignee = currentuser() AND summary ~ company ORDER BY duedate

Above high-light part works.

JiraSearchWorks.jpg

But when I try to search by the vulnerability number with below query. The '~' operator fail to return expected result.

AND summary ~ 38752

JiraSearchNotWork.jpg

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Harald Seyr
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Joseph Cen 

you probably found the same problematic behaviour of searching for a text containing only numbers that was discovered by some other Jira users before:

Search for issues using JQL when summary has the numbers | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

[JRASERVER-23088] Issues search does not search for numbers in a text field - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

I failed to find a workaround to filter by wildcards. However, if you search for the full "CVE-2022-38752", it should work.

Regards,

Harald

Use full vulnerability number works 'CVE-2022-38752'.

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hi @Joseph Cen ,

The following JQL return any results?

summary ~ company and summary ~ 38752

I am afraid no. It just return an empty list.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

How about this one?

summary ~ "38752*company"

I am afraid your propose does not work.

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

Hi @Joseph Cen 

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions 

You can use this query to find all your issues that contain the number “38752” in the summary.

issue in wildcardMatch("summary", "*38752*")

Check out the documentation for more examples.

If you have any other questions, please contact our support. We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

Suggest an answer