How to run a JIRA wallboard

Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

When I try to run a wallboard I run into a problem. Since our JIRA is not public, I have to create a wallboard user. But when that user is logged into JIRA and displays the wallboard I run into 2 problems:

1) Every once in a while the user is logged out and the wallboard looks broken. Can I prevent a user from getting logged out? I mean, I don't want to touch the wallboard every week for the user to stay logged in.

2) The JIRA wallboard seems to consume browser memory. I've tried IE, FF and Chrome, and they all seem to consume like 1-2 GB o RAM after a few weeks of running the wallboard. Eventually I have to restart the browser, and then it's fine again.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2013

I have not had time to test out Firefox portable due to too much work. Was quicker to get the IT department to install more RAM.

So, I can't confirm any of the answers. :-(

0 votes
Nicklas Kittelmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

Hello!

Thanks for your answers! Unfortunatelly we're using OnDemand, so we can't add a html fine there. :-(

But I'll try the FF Portable and see how that works for us!

0 votes
AlanR October 1, 2013

We have a JIRA wallboard running constantly on a dedicated screen next to the coffee machine.

Problem 1:

On the server we have a file infoboard.html with a line 'remeber me .. = true' :

<input id="login-form-username" name="os_username" type="hidden" value="walluser" />
	<input id="login-form-password" name="os_password" type="hidden" value="password-here" />
	<input id="login-form-remember-me" name="os_cookie" type="hidden" value="true" />

Problem 2:

We set this up using WindowsXP and IE8 and had a memory leak. We changed to Firefox portable and since then this is no longer an issue. (We do occasionaly have to manualy restart when there has been a Windows or Firefox update - Firefox displays an update screen that has to be acknowledged)

Suggest an answer