How to revert workflow changes in all jira issues

John Wash November 17, 2016

Hey Guys,

I got a question about using the migration of workflows using administration permissions for all of projects into the jira. 

I done the migration from an old scheme to completely new one in order to make some changes on old one. After that when I apply updated old scheme with confirmation of "temporary statuses" to statuses from "updated scheme"  I got unexpected troubles.

The problem is the following

All issues with "Done" resolution were changed to "Open" and finally 're mixed with logically correct ones. Based on information that initial count of issues is over 1000+ I need to make a complex approach (not a manual one) to revert it. Any ideas ?

3 answers

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Hi John,

Could you use a advanced JQL search to find the issues where status was changed by you during the time window where you updated the status?

The JQL would be something like this (you'll need to tweak the times):

status changed from "Done" to "Open" by currentUser() during ("2016/11/18 00:00", "2016/11/18 12:00")

Then use bulk transition (see "Transition multiple issues" section) to move them back to "Done".

Sam

Thanks in advance Sam.

Let me ask you how can I use bulk in this case to be sure I not face the same or similar situation.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Once you've got a search showing the list of issues you accidentally changed, use bulk change to transition through your workflow to get them back to "Done" status. 

The option is here:

bulk-change.jpg

After clicking this, you'll go to a "Choose issues" screen, allowing you to further refine which issues you want to work on. I'd suggest testing this on one or two issues first.

Then it is steps 3 to 7 in the "Transition multiple issues" section from: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver072/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-829057529.html

How to transition multiple issues
  1. Perform a search with the required filters to produce a list of issues.
  2. Select Tools > Bulk Change.
  3. Select the issues you'd like to perform the bulk operation on, and select Next.
  4. Select Transition Issues, and select Next.
  5. Select the available workflow action. The actions available are dependent on the issues (and their associated workflows) that you have selected. Select Next.
  6. Select a value for any required fields for this transition, and if available, decide whether you'd like to send email notifications. Select Next.
  7. Review your bulk operation, and select Confirm when you are happy with the operation.

I don't know your workflow, so I can't tell you exactly which transitions you'll need to do.

As I said, test it on a single issue first to get the hang of it and make sure it solves your problem without unexpected suprises (e.g. make sure you don't send email notifications, you probably don't want to trigger thousands of those!).

Sam

John Wash November 21, 2016

Hey Sam, I done bulk transition step by step but unfortunatelly there's no result appeared. I go to details of issye from the searach list and check history. Nothing got changed

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

OK. Just to check, did you get a screen like this after you selected Confirm in step 7?

transitioning.jpg\

If so, how many issues did it say were transitioning?

yep. 52 issues. I decided to select not all ones. Unfortunately status was not changed

I even wait when JIRA processing this amount of issues - it's not actually so fast usually. 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

Hmm. 

And if you go to <your-jira-url>/secure/ViewProfile.jspa, does your activity stream show any changes made by you?

Does the workflow transition you are trying to execute have any validators on it that could be stopping it from working for the issues in question?

A test would be to do the following:

• find one of the 52 issues you are trying to change
  • look at it in the plain/normal issue view
  • try to transition it to your "Done" status manually

When you do this, does your workflow require completion of any fields / comments, etc to get it to "Done"?

If you can do it on a manually on single issue, then you should be able to do it in bulk on more than one.

Sam

1 vote

problem : Accidentally applied statuses

Was and correct : "done"

now : "Open". And now it's mixed with logically correct "Open"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

Ok, Sam's answer is the one you need!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

This is two separate things.   You talk about changing your workflows first, which is fine.  But then you describe a problem which has nothing to do with the workflows.  Workflows define the possible status for issues.  Resolution is separate from that.  Changing the workflow for issues will have no effect on the resolution.  Using the workflows after the change could affect resolution as the workflows can set it as issues move through them, but the workflow change itself will not. 

People mix up status and resolution a lot though, and often have shared names (done or fixed are both good words for both of them), so, first, we need to establish that the problem is status or resolution.  Could you confirm which one is wrong?

Suggest an answer