How to restrict user's access to only one project?

Adrian Mussanna June 28, 2017

Hi,

I added two new users, but did not give them access to any projects. However, they are able to get full administrative view of my business projects... which I don't want them to see. 

Can anyone tell me how to prevent this?

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Adrian Mussanna June 29, 2017

Thanks, I only see this on Business Boards. If this is a common error, then I suggest that Atlassian amends this asap. 

Thank you both for your responses. 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

There really isn't a fix. It clearly states how permissions are given and the jira-users group allows people to logon. It often comes up after they've been using JIRA for awhile and decide they don't want everyone to see a new project. The standard best practice security model is only allow access when needed, not give universal access and then restrict. However, this is how too many JIRA admins think. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2017

The most common error is adding the jira-users group to the permission scheme.  JIRA works on a Permit, not Restrict model. You GIVE permissions. You can't deny access. I suggest project roles. It allows the project admin to manage access. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2017

Your permission scheme is giving them full admin views, you'll need to amend the permission scheme or the user accounts to remove that access.

Suggest an answer