How to restrict issue type to particular users in jira cloud

Jira Tutorial September 17, 2020

Hi

In Jira Cloud how to restrict issue type to particular users?

Thank you!

3 answers

2 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Hi @Jira Tutorial ,

In Cloud you can't restrict it. On server there is an app which can do it. What Peter suggest does not work, because users can still create the issue if you use an issue level security scheme. After creation (if you use a default level) they may not see the issue anymore, but you can't prevent them from creating it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Actually, they will be able to see the issue.  Pretty obscure thing in the docs (I think there's only one line that mentions it), but to set a security level, you have to have to be part of it.  So you can't create an issue that would be hidden from yourself.

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Hence the 'if you use a default level'

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Nope, they can't use a default level if they're not in it.

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Ok @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , I don't want to make it a Yes/No game. So this is what I noticed in my test:

I just created a sec level scheme with a default level set and I'm not part of that level. When I create the issue I get the following message:

image.png

Now the big question, can you follow the same steps and check who is correct?

Like Mark de Bont likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

Hmm, interesting, that doesn't happen on server - it changes the default selected if level is on-screen, and sets no level if it's not on screen.

Thanks for pointing it out

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

You too. Good to know that issue security on server behaves differently w.r.t cloud.

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

Hi @Jira Tutorial :)

I believe Issue Security is your way to go, please see more details here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html 

0 votes
Pavol Sočuvka February 22, 2022

Hello there,

I recently noticed that it team-managed projects you can restrict issue type for certain roles: image.png

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events