How to restrict groups available to project administrators in "users and roles"?

Mark Kiami October 13, 2016

In the "users and roles" section of a project, a project administrator can manage the groups/users assigned to the roles.

Is it possible to restrict the groups/users a project administrator can use to add to the available roles?

Here is the use case:

• There are internal groups to our company (company staff): jira-internal-1-users, jira-internal-2-users etc...
  • There are also external groups (clients, providers): jira-external-1-users, jira-external-2-users etc...

Can I restrict a project administrator from adding an external group to his project?

This should be possible only by the general JIRA administrator for security reasons because internal projects contain critical information not to be disclosed in any way to external users. 

PS: the same question goes for specific external users instead of groups.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2016

I am afraid not.  The permissions to see and use groups is not that granular.  There are a few cases where it will limit a user to only be able to use groups that they belong to,  but that is about it for now.   I hear atlassian are looking at this,  but I don't expect it to change soon. is about it.   

Mark Kiami October 13, 2016

I would be interested to know how you can limit users to the groups they belong to. Can this be applied to the project administrator use case I mention?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2016

I am sorry, I was not clear there.  It is not a setting or configuration element.  There are just some places where a user cannot select groups they are not in.  It's a hard-coded selection and it only applies in a handful of places.

Mark Kiami October 14, 2016

Thanks Nic! For the record there is an open ticket at JIRA for the feature:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-39813

Suggest an answer