How to restrict group access in a Project

Vilhjálmur Hallgrímsson February 12, 2014

I have a project called "EBS"

All my employees can participate in all the issues belonging to this project.

I have many different customers who need access to this project but I want to restrict customer#1 to participate and only see any issues belonging to the customer #1 group.

How can this best be achived?

1 answer

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2014

Hi,

If you have admin permissions then you can give browse permissions to the particular group in your permission schema. or contact your jira-administrators.

Thanks,

Patina

Thank you for your help Patina.

If I grant browse permission in project "EBS" to group#1, will they be able to see issues from group#2 who also have access to the same project?

I want to restrict group#1 to only see issues belonging to group#1

Thanks
-Villi

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

No.

The "ownership" of an issue has nothing to do with who can see it. Jira doesn't have "can only see issue if user is in same group as user" because that's complex, messy and usually doesn't work. In Jira, and a lot of other software, everyone is in at least one "can log in" group, which means the question "am I in one of the same groups as Dave" is almost always answered with "yes"

If you grant browse to EBS for group 1, they'll be able to see everthing in the project. Group 2 is utterly irrelevant, Group 1 can see the project.

You probably should look into "security schemes" which will allow you to hide individual issues, and tie that to the groups.

Ok and thank you both for your answers.

I will see if the security schemes will help in my case

-Villi

Suggest an answer