How to restrict admin users from user creation and add/update jira project roles for user ?

Sambit Choudhury May 17, 2021

We want to restrict our JIRA admin users to create users and add/update jira project roles for user, this has to be achieved to comply with organization standard. 
We have already developed a API for user creation and project role manipulation in JIRA, so for our compliance we want to restrict original process of user creation through JIRA.

2 answers

0 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

Hi Sambit - Atlassian Access (https://www.atlassian.com/software/access) is the SSO product for Atlassian Cloud products.  It allows you to manage multiple apps centrally and apply other policies.  We use it to view a central list of users across 10+ Jira and Confluence instances.

Sambit Choudhury May 18, 2021

So this is a paid service for user integration from external system, will check these features.

0 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2021

I don't think there's a way to do it, as the most granular Global Permissions for admins are Jira Administrators and Jira System Administrators.  Your Jira admins should ideally be part of a trusted team, though that can be hard if you need people to set up their own projects.  

I may be wrong, but in this case your best bet may be to use the Audit Log to verify that no admins are creating users and manage any problems.   You didn't mention whether you are using Access by the way - that affects how users are managed.

Sambit Choudhury May 17, 2021

I didn't get your sentence "You didn't mention whether you are using Access by the way - that affects how users are managed"

What kind of Access you are talking about.

Suggest an answer