How to restrict Jira Portal customers to appear in Watcher's list drop down/suggestion

Shaikh Arif Mohd Mondal April 24, 2019

I am facing this problem regarding watcher's list. When ever I type any character, all the suggestions including customer portal users from Service desk also appears. I want to see users from my organization should appear in the suggestion of watcher list when i type a character to avoid confusion.

2 answers

0 votes
Shaikh Arif Mohd Mondal April 25, 2019

@Jack Brickey  Got a reply from JIRA support . This is a Jira Bug which is already being reported.  JRACLOUD-23902

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

Customer do not appear in the "Watcher" list. Rather they appear in the "Request Participant" list. Which customers appear in that field is driven by the Customers defined in the project. Now if you are seeing customers in the Watcher list then I'm guessing that either you have defined your customers as Agents (yikes) or maybe you are using JSW as well and your customers are internal JSW users and you have them w/ browse permissions for the JSD project?

Adding more details to my query. When i am making a ticket other than the Service desk Project, say some internal project, the customers are appearing in the watcher's suggestion

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

ok well on the surface this sounds strange but it depends on how your "customers" are truly defined. Are they Portal only or are they actually Jira users?

The first thing I would check is to go to the admin section > user management and check to see if your "customers" are listed under User management and not simply Portal only. For them to show in the watcher list they would need application access. Also, check if you can select them in other user picker field e.g. Assignee. Are these "customers" internal and as such have access to JSW? 

1. No customers are not listed under users.

2. Negative. Portal customers are not appearing in the other picker field like assignee.

Just Watchers

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

@Shaikh Arif Mohd Mondal , ok so it is odd. I went to test this out and indeed the Customers will show up in the list. However, if you try to add them it will result in an error. I don't recall seeing this before but TBH don't recall trying it either. :-)

It is unfortunate that this is the case. I searched JAC to see if this was reported but did not immediately find an issue open for it. I have opened a ticket w/ Atlassian Support inquiring about this. When I get an answer back I will share here.

Thanks mate!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2019

Heard back on the ticket. As expected the software doesn’t check first to filter down the list and remove customers. :-(

here is an open suggestion you can vote and watch if interested. JRACLOUD-39771

Suggest an answer