How to restore admin access for JIRA?

Srinivas Patruni August 23, 2013

I was doing some user clean up activity on one of our test instances and accidentally I lost my admin access. How could i get admin access back or should I take a new db dump?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2013

Hi Nic,

I have access to the JIRA server but I dont have admin access. I checked "cwd_membership" table and found that no one is having jira-administrators access. Is there a way to get admin access for me? From a different test server, I checked and found the below data from the following query.

"select * from cwd_membership where child_name='spatruni';"

15279,10031,12554,GROUP_USER,jira-users,jira-users,spatruni,spatruni,5

15685,10039,12554,GROUP_USER,jira-administrators,jira-administrators,spatruni,spatruni,5

But in the instance where i lost admin access i found this data

34095,10031,12554,GROUP_USER,jira-users,jira-users,spatruni,spatruni,5

How can i get admin access? Could you please suggest?

Thanks,

Srinivas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2013

The document I pointed to explains it much better than I would. Are you struggling with what that says?

From the documentation I checked the users who are having admin permission using the query "select child_name, directory_id from cwd_membership where parent_name='jira-administrators';" but no users returned. This is because of my accidental deletion. from the next step "If there are no Internal JIRA Administrators" I donot understand what it really means "Find the groups in the external management system that you want to grant the administrator permissions and do the following:" What does it mean finding group in external management? We are using Ldap for authentication. How the ldap group is acutally related here I do not understand. We manually assign admin permission to some specific users not based on any Ldap groups.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2013

LDAP is providing groups and users to Jira. You need to tell Jira to treat one of the groups (one that you are in) as an administrator group. The SQL given in that "if there are no internal Jira administrators" section will do that. Once complete, you'll get access and you can repair the rest of what you deleted through the UI

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

I checked the below queries and found that perm_parameter value which is mentioned in the documentation is already set properly in the table. So I did not understand what should I execute here and so got confused.. Could you please let me know how to resolve this?

select * from schemepermissions where permission=44;

select * from schemepermissions where permission=0;

select * from schemepermissions where permission=1;

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2013

You are reading those permissions to find out what groups are set up with admin access (if any). Once you've established that, you can move on to the next section in the document. I cna't really give you a better explanation that what's in the documentation - it's better written than my prose, and I don't know what you aren't understanding.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

I got the SQL query and added my self as administrator. I restored my admin access now. Thank you for the needful.

Suggest an answer