How to restore Jira xml data manually?

Hanna Kutkowska July 15, 2014

Hi,

I guess I am having a tipical problem with restoring my current Jira data (6.2.3) due starting the older version of Jira (5.0.2) instance without having any backup of Jira_Home directory, which imply that old instance overwrite my current data? The only backup I have is the one from export subdirectory (activeobject.xml and entities.xml).

Is there any chance to restore those data on the server? Because obviously I cannot start now none of the instances. Here is the error message:

An error occurred performing JIRA upgrade

The data before the upgrade has been exported to /atlassian/jira/export/jira_autoexport_20140716_085547.zip 2014-07-16

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2014

Hello Escuire

With entities.xml and activeobjects. xml in hand all that you'll need to do is to zip those archives and then install a fresh instance of JIRA and them using the import from backup option. You will not need a DB backup cause those xml files will populate it.

The point is that you will need a fresh instance of JIRA to import that xml backup

This proccess is described here

Hope this helps!

0 votes

Ok. So luckily for me I have found some database dump file and I restore it. So everything works fine now, but hipotetically is there any way to restore jira database without native db backups? Like I asked before. Is there any chance do restore jira database having only files from export subdirectory of jira home.

Yes, thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014

Yes, like I said already - you run an import. The xml is not suitable for creating a database from, it needs to be imported via something that understands it.

0 votes

Exception thrown during upgrade: java.lang.NullPointerException
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:87)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getCustomFieldSearcher(CustomFieldImpl.java:1935)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.(CustomFieldImpl.java:266)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.(CustomFieldImpl.java:239)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldsFromIds(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:460)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:445)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.tasks.UpgradeTask_Build6045.getCustomFields(UpgradeTask_Build6045.java:132)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2014
What does the log file say is going wrong with the import/upgrade?

Not much as you see above. I think database has crashed. So my question is how to use the activeobject.xml and entities.xml files to fix it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2014

Well, that's the thing, to fix it with those files, you need to run an import.

The log implies you've got a broken custom field of some sort. It would be very unusual for a system field to break quite like that, so I'd look at the custom fields you have added via plugins - do you have any of these?

Suggest an answer