How to reset the assignee when the issue component is changed?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

I would like to know how can I make jira reset the assignee when the issue component is changed.

Currently, I've seen one implementation of adding custom transitions that do have a post fuction to to this. Still, this approach doesn't scale at all and creates more problems that it solves: increased complexity of workflows, doesn't work if someone edits the components using the normal edit (instead of using the transition).

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

You can do it in a listener and it will cover the "Edits" as well. No configurations needed in the workflow for that. There aren't any other options I guess.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

That's quite strange to have to write a plugin for this basic use case. It's quite common for the initial reporter to miss the component, probably >20% and this means if even if another developer is correcting the component, it will not fix the asignee.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

What JIRA does is to define the default assignee. If the component was selected initially and the assignee was automatic, it assigns the issue based on the component. But it won't change the assignee later when component changes.

Makes sense because it is up to the assignee to make that decission whether to assign it to someone else or not. Not everyone uses components in the same way :)

Suggest an answer