How to reset admin password in JIRA?

Rumceisz December 6, 2013

Hi All,

we have a server running several versions of JIRA. These JIRA instances serve migration goals: i.e. when migrating projects from different JIRA version to another we use these migration JIRAs to jump between versions.

We have access to these migration JIRA's folders (home, etc) but we cannot login because we don't know the admins password anymore. We need to login in order to make a backup import to go on with the migration.

My question is how could we set a password for the jira-administrator user? In which file in the current JIRA could we do it? Let you know that we don't have access to the database (SQL) only to the fiels of this instance.

Could you please hint us some advise?

Thanks in advance,

Rumi

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2013

You can reset the password via SQL, see Scenario B, - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

If you have email enabled and know the userid of the admin user, perhaps you go through the 'Forgot Password' workflow.

Rumceisz December 6, 2013

Hi Andy,

thanks for the hint! The problem is as I mentioned that we don't have SQl access and actually don't know how to do it. We only have access to all folder of the standalone JIRa and JIRA Home.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2013
Uh. Are you using an external database? Its hard to believe you cant get sql access or for someone to run sql if you have staging environments with external dbs which is required to fix this. If you are using hsql then you have a chance to use a tool to open it from which you can do update. The other option I mentioned (fogot password) would work if you have email enabled and valid emails set, though with multiple environments its probably disabled...
Milena Gonzalez August 27, 2018

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to create a user administrator of jira since the database, since at the moment we have a problem in a client for the access to the instance, and it is necessary since we are in project to update the version, currently they have the version of Jira Soiftware 6.3 and the database is MSSQL Server 2012.

Regards.

Milena González.

Like shyam likes this

Suggest an answer