How to require fields before issue can be added to a sprint?

Alicia Pena June 2, 2014

Managers are tired of having to go thru items that have been added to a sprint without the epic, version number and est points fields filled out. Those aren't fields that are filled in during creation. But we would like to restrict the ability to add any issue to a sprint if those 3 fields have not been filled out. How could I enforce that, only when adding issues to a sprint?

2 answers

2 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

Hi Alicia,

It isn't possible to make fields required during a transition only by default, but you can possibly achieve this using the JIRA Suite Utilities.

That is, with this plugin you can make the fields required only on transition, and with this you can:

1- Add a new transition to your workflow, which can be a loop transition (that makes the issue transition to the same status in which it already is) - you can call this transition 'Add to Sprint' for example, and add the sprint field to this transition's screen.

2- In this transition, configure the Fields required validator so that JIRA won't allow the issue to be transitioned unless the version number, epic and Estimation Points fields are filled.

3- Add the version number, epic and Estimation Points field to the same screen.

4- And finally, remove the Sprint field from your 'Edit Issue' screen, so that the only way the user can add the issue to the sprint is through that transition.

I hope this helps! :)

Alicia Pena July 1, 2014

Thank you Matheus. I'm signed up for Atlassian workflow training that I'll be starting soon. I expect your recommendation will make more sense once I complete the training class.

Thanks again,

Alicia

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2014

Anytime! let me know if you have any further doubts regarding this. :)

0 votes
Jessie March 21, 2019

Is there a way to make a custom field required to add an issue to a sprint? Basically I have one project with 5 teams working on it, their board's queries are based on a custom drop down "development team assigned." However, I am seeing some issues added to "XYZ sprint" without being assigned to "XYZ team" and it is affecting some data I am automatically pulling from Jira that needs the team assignment field with the sprint. Sorry if that's confusing. I want that field to be required to be added to a sprint, it doesn't matter if it's an error message or the edit view opens to add it for my users. Does anyone have experience with this? Is the same plugin needed still?

Wayland He January 23, 2020

You can use JIRA Project Automation to at least send alerts via some communication medium now. You can access via Project Settings -> Project Automation

Example of automation

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.42.12 AM.png

Like Billy Macrae likes this
Billy Macrae October 13, 2022

@way you my friend are a legend. Thank you for posting that example above. :) 

Suggest an answer