How to represent cross-functional teams in Portfolio for JIRA?

Christine Antonsen January 5, 2016

Hi there,

How could we represent our cross functional teams in JIRA Portfolio.

Each team is composed of analysts and developers; but the developers can only work on particular stories. 

Essentially all of our JIRA stories are Type A or Type B, only the B-developers can work on Type B stories, and only A-developers can work on Type A stories, but analysts can work on both types of stories. 

How can we represent the fact that only certain people on a team can work on certain stories in Portfolio for JIRA?

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
MatthiasS January 5, 2016

Hi Christine,

that's what "stages & skills" is for: In the "development" stage you could configure both the "analyst" and the "developer" skill. Then you go to the "people" configuration. There you can add people with the analyst or developer skill, or both. When creating stories, epics or initiatives you can specify which skill is required to solve that task.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Matt

Christine Antonsen January 6, 2016

So it is not the developer vs. analyst problem, it is that there are two different types of developers. So essentially using stages and skills I would have to designate for every story whether it was one type of development story (Type A) or a Type B development story. Also, for the stories in the backlog that have not been story pointed yet, I wouldn't be able to assign the estimate all as one skill because I don't know the story point value yet.

There is no way to just check a box about which story type it is, I have to enter an estimate value for the skills. And then there are over 500 items in our backlog because we have 5 scrum teams it seems too burdensome to do that way. 

Suggest an answer