How to replace existing OTRS with JIRA

Peter May 7, 2013

As the subject tells we would like to merge both OTRS and JIRA. Today we use OTRS for Troubletickets from customers, and JIRA for Softwaredevelopment. We would like to enable our customers to create issues in JIRA via Mail.

We set the mail handler to create new users automatically. This is working so far, Tickets and Users were created, but the user received no answer

1) Those users count as JIRA-Users. How do I create such Users having no Jira-Rights (= not counting for user licenses)

2) The newly created user should receive mail notifications on Creating a ticket, when tickets receive comments, or when a ticket is closed. Is this possible with JIRA itself? Do I need a plugin? Do I have to develop such a function by myself?

I found a few other Q&A, but nothing really answering the questions, any help is appreciated

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

1) New users must not be added to the "can log in" groups. Then they won't count towards your licence. (The group is usually "jira-users", but check your admin -> global permissions before assuming that)

2) Yes, look up "notification schemes", where you'll find you can set up targets for events. For example "issue commented" - email "reporter", and "issue closed" - email "reporter" and "current assignee"

Peter May 7, 2013

Thank you, nice! I can handle the answer #2. But where in Jira do I set the standard groups users are added to? Much more: how to avoid users are added automatically to 'jira-users'. I created a group called non-jira-users, and would like to have new users added to that group by default.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

Yes, this is a bit of a sticky one. Admin -> Global permissions is where you need to look for the "standard" groups, because...

All new users are automatically added into any group you put in the "can log in" setting.

There's no way around that without a bit of coding. Things like the Jira Enhanced Email Handler (JEMH) can bypass the automatic add (and be a lot more powerful than the built-in stuff), and you can write stuff/scripts which will automatically remove users and so-on. But I don't know of a way to prevent this in off-the-shelf Jira.

0 votes
Wolfgang Tank June 3, 2013

Peter, have you ever thought about an integration of OTRS and Jira where ypou transfer OTRS ticket to jira issue automatically based on a configurable field mapping and syncing ticket and issue data especially comments.

Peter June 5, 2013

Thank you, wotan. I would like to avoid setups where I have to maintain different tools and the connections between them. That is why I am looking for a solution "out of Jira". It seems this is an, at the moment, impossible task...

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013
Hi. If i remember it right the users that are being created from the mailhandler will be put into "jira-users" which will count against your license. Afaik the plugin JEMH provides the feature to insert users created by email into an other group (you can specify). Those user won't be able to login into jira but recieve mails upon issue activity you set up in notification schemes like nic already pointed at.
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013
Nic is too fast....i hate typing on smartphones :(
Peter May 7, 2013

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer