How to reopen an Epic?

Dominik Enkelmann November 21, 2020

I want to simplify the handling of Epics by linking the Epic Status to the Issue Status.
I automated setting the Epic Status to DONE when the Issue Status is set to done.

In case this happened accidentally, it must be possible to reopen the epic.

I found no way to automate this. I also tried to add Epic Status to the fields in the screen, to allow for manual editing, but it does not show up.

What is the right way to reopen an epic?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

Hi @Dominik Enkelmann 

How are you updating the Epic Status to Done at this point?

I tested opening/closing the Epic Status using post functions, and it works:

1. Go to your workflow and edit it
  2. In Diagram mode, select any reopen transition - if you allow all statuses to transition to all others, you'll need to repeat step 3-6 for all transitions
  3. Select Post Functions, then select "Add post function"
  4. Select the function "Update Issue Custom Field"
  5. Select the field Epic Name, then in Value enter the desired Epic Status - To Do, In Progress or Done
  6. Press Add
  7. Once you've finished adding the required functions, select "Publish Draft" to complete the modifications

I did find the value had to be exact; any other value aside from the three listed in Step 5 resulted in Epic Status becoming blank.

I would advise doing this for each transition - then you can automate the change from To Do > In Progress also, not just for closing/reopening.

----------------

I also found that the Epic Status does not appear in the new issue view, but is visible in classic view - vote/follow JRACLOUD-73469 if you'd like to see this change.

Aside from changing to classic view, you can still bulk change the Epic Status, from the option on the issue search page (via the 3-dots menu).

Ste

Dominik Enkelmann November 24, 2020

Thank you for this detailed response. It resolved my issue. I was not aware that even when all transitions have the same name ("ALL"), they still are independent transitions that can set different values in the post function. Works perfect now!

Suggest an answer