How to render a user-friendly IT Service Catalog to internal users with JIRA Projects/Components?

Arnold Chang January 7, 2013

In ITIL world, we always talk about the importance of a user-friendly Service Catalog to end users.

While I'm considering introducing JIRA as our new ticketing system for not only IT Service Desk but also other teams in IT Department to replace the exisitng ITTL-based Service Management tool from CA Unicenter, I'm always asking myself the question of how to form a effective Service Cataloig in JIRA world as a good start.

Could you please share your suggestions or successful cases with your potential JIRA customer if possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

And keep a watch on Viewports. It's coming soon.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27613

Arnold Chang January 13, 2013

nice to know.

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

got cancelled back then

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2013

A couple of my clients have implemented service catalogues as Jira projects - each "issue" within the catalogue is a service, they can attach fields and link to the issues when they are doing things like raising changes or decommissioning.

It's not ideal, as the interface in Jira remains quite fussy, and reporting a bit weak, but the advantages of linking, not having to write/maintain yet another system, and having everything in one place have outweighed those quite significantly.

Some clients have custom reports that dig information out of the service cataloge (e.g. a support project, where someone logs that system X goes bang, the report looks up system X in the catalogue and puts the relevant information on the incident wash-up report)

Arnold Chang January 13, 2013

Hi Nic,

I understood your points. Could you please share some visulized examples if possible so that it could be much easier to come out mine?

Thanks,

Arnold

Suggest an answer