How to rename an Epic Name after creation

Soraya Grippi July 31, 2020

Hello!

When creating an Epic you have the "long version" which is called Summary and the "short version" (the one which appears in the "Epic Link" field on the issues) which is called Epic Name. 

If you don't fill in the Epic Name field it will assume the Summary name which is longer and unnecessary. I can't find anywhere to edit this EPIC NAME (the short version) field.

Can someone help me?

Thank you!

---

!UPDATE!

I got it!

1) You have to go to your backlog screen

2) Click on the EPICS tab (it's shown in vertical mode, you have to turn your head to see it lol)

3) Find your epic & click on it

4) Edit the name straight on that screen

5) It will update only the Link/Epic Name field - the Summary remains the same.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Justin July 31, 2020

@Sory 

You need to ensure your issue screen scheme for issue type of Epic has the "Epic Name" field. An easy way to do this is go to your Project Settings -> Screens page and then view the screens for the Epic.

Another way to edit the Epic name is to go to the backlog view of a Scrum board, expand the Epics and hit the ellipsis (...), then click Edit name.

Hope this helps!

Soraya Grippi July 31, 2020

Thank you Justin! <3 

3 votes
manderson September 1, 2021

Once you are editing an Epic, the text at the top of the screen is the Epic Summary.  There is an Epic Name field in the right hand box.  The Epic Name is the field that is searched and shown for links and such.  Epic Summary is pretty much ignored internally.

Hossein Esmaeili October 7, 2021

Thank you very much for your comment. It helped me!

Manisha Goel March 10, 2023

This was helpful, If you dont have backlog and scrumboard.

0 votes
Helen Brown April 1, 2022

In the Epic edit screen, you can click on "Configure" located on the bottom right of the screen. In the right panel (Hidden Fields), you should see "Epic Name". Drag to either the "Description" section or the "Context" section. Click "Save". I added to Context and see it on the right panel of the Epic edit screen. Change the name there and you are done! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events