How to rename a step?

sn January 17, 2018

hi,

I have renamed the active workflow statuses which is reflected in the diagram view. in the text view, the step is still the old name. This is confusing as I have to remember what changes were made. Is there a workaround to rename the step in DB? if so, how can I achieve this ?

thanks !

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

I just ran the test on an active workflow, changed the status name and it is displaying the new name on both diagram and text view.

Make sure that you make the change on the workflow first not the text view.

Are you JIRA Admin? Please make sure that this change won't affect lot of projects? you want to make sure that your users don't get confused.

sn January 19, 2018

Thanks fadoua,

yes., I'm the Admin. I did make the changes in the diagram mode and not text mode. I made these changes a month ago and all users see is the renamed statuses and not the steps(as always, which is good) but I'm not sure why the step is not renamed.

and if this is expected.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2018

Hi sn,

Why do you mean by step? is it the transition?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2018

Steps are the structural part of a workflow, which are hidden from the users when they are in the diagram mode.  They are mostly hidden from users on the front end as well.

There's a 1:1 relationship between steps and status - every step has an associated status, and that status can only be used by one step in a workflow.  This structure sounds like steps are redundant as you could be building workflows by linking status directly, but that would make the code a lot more complex, and require a rewrite of the editor and workflow engine.

sn January 23, 2018

thanks Nic..

In my situation, since the step is originally created , it was not renamed when i renamed the statuses. do you suggest that i manually rename the step? would that modify the underlying step in DB or do you think i should just copy the existing Wf and rename the steps ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

No harm in renaming the step to something when you can (yes, Jira will handle the database for you).  The step names are independent of status, but it can be a lot easier for admins when they match!

sn January 23, 2018

thank you Nic

Suggest an answer