How to rename a custom field name? Not a custom field value - the field name itself

AM November 25, 2012

JIRA 5.x:

Any ideas how to rename a custom field name? I'm not talking about the custom field values - it's about the name of the custom field itself.

e.g. you add a custom field with field name "Database" ( like the sample https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field here - and you start to populate the field with values.

Now you had to rename it to "Flat-Files" because JIRA admin gets a wrong information from the project manager - and you had to keep the values already stored in this field.

So how to do it ...?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2012

Admin -> Custom field list -> find the custom field -> click Edit on that line. You'll be able to rename it there, no effect on the rest of the data, just the name

AM November 25, 2012

AAAHRRGH - forest and trees issue.

I always tried the "Configure" option instead of the "Edit" option just below the "Configure" options ... :-}

Classic PEBCAC / RTFM combination ...

Thanks!!!
A-M

Like TecArt GmbH likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2012

<mumble> years as a Jira Admin, and I still do exactly that. :-)

Pratik Rawlekar October 3, 2019

@Nic Brough I am able to edit the custom field name which also updates the field name in the old tickets but does not add any history log for name change.

I there any extra step required to add the rename change log in history?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2019

No, there's no reason for this to go into the history - it's a configuration change, not a change to issue data, and the issue history is about the issue, not config.

javier.espinosa March 11, 2021

Great answer!!

0 votes
Rob van den Belt March 18, 2015

Hi to all,

Before you start changing Custom Field Names, I engourage you all to realise the consequences this can have. Therefore read this wonderfull article before you promise to make, or worse, make changes!

http://atlassian.techsolcom.ca/fr/actualites/entry/4-cases-when-jira-administrators-must-learn-to-say-no

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2012

Hi,

It is simple.. In short

If you are keeping the same type then just simply edit the name as other users have described.

If you need change the type.. then you need to created another custom field "Flat-Files".. then identify all values used by old custom field "Database" (using Search).. copy value from "Database" field to the new one and stop using wrong field.

Copy value from one field to another can be done by using script runner plugin..

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-CopyCustomFieldValues

Or a post function added to JIRA Suite Utilities or JIRA Toolkit plugins..

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mirek

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2012

Admin -> Custom field list -> find the custom field -> click Edit on that line. You'll be able to rename it there, no effect on the rest of the data, just the name

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2012
AM November 25, 2012

No :-( .... forest / trees ... you know ..?

Suggest an answer