How to rename Installation folders

Rick Waring October 15, 2012

Just upgraded from v4.3.3 to v5.0.6, finally got all system working again - now ready to begin upgrade to v5.1.xx, but woudl like to clean up original JIRA installation folder in keeping with the new naming conventions before proceeding with the upgrade. Current instalaltion folder was the standard for a windows-based system: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\JIRA 4.3.3", and I think I want to change it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\JIRA" to stay with the new naming convention, but I'd like some direction on how to best proceed. I intended to keep my JIRA home folder as it is, and just make it easier for any future upgrades to end up in a propelry named folder.

I will be testing the upgrade to v5.1.xx shortly - so if that is the best process to follow (using the migrate to a different server method maybe?? ) then that is what I'll do - but I was hoping there was a way I could do that "in place with the current 5.0.6 version" and then just do the standard in-place upgrade after that

Any recommedations on the best way to proceed? thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2012

You shouldn't have any problems renaming or moving the JIRA Installation Directory, as JIRA doesn't modify or store any data in this directory.

The only thing you should verify before renaming it is if there aren't any, for example, environment variables, services or startup scripts in your server that points to the JIRA Installation Folder. Also, you'll need to ensure that JIRA is not running during this process.

Rick Waring October 16, 2012

Thank you, Matheus! I'll give this a shot - just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything.. thanks

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2012

And if you are running JIRA as a service, ensure that you remove and recreate the service after the directory name change using the commands at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+as+a+Service

Or if you are comfortable to manipulate Windows registry, you can do the same by directly editing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services entry for the JIRA service and then rebooting the machine.

Rick Waring October 16, 2012

Thank you , Renjith -- yes - I am running this as a service - and probably would have remembered once my restart failed - but great reminder - thank you !

Suggest an answer