How to remove users from the 'Users' group

Kathleen Jacobs August 16, 2012

It seems if i do not have users in the 'user' group, they can not log in. This group as too much permissions for them.

I created a new group called QA with limited permissions. But if I remove them from the 'users' group and only have them in the QA group, they cannot log in.

What can i do?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2012

First, look in the global permissions - one of them is "can log in" and it defaults to having "jira users" in it.

That's why when you remove someone from it, they can no longer log in.

Standard recommendation - use "jira users" to mean "can log in", and absolutely nothing else. Use other groups and roles in your permission schemes.

Alternatively, set up a new group called "jira logins", whack everyone in there, add the group to the "can log in" global permission, and remove "jira users" from it (and then never use "jira logins" for anything else)

Kathleen Jacobs August 16, 2012

If i change the login group to 'Jira Log-in', and delete the 'users' group, what about all the people assigned to the users group already, and NOT assigned to the 'jira log-in' group. Will they still be able to log in?

Can I add everyone to the 'jira log-in' group?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2012

That's why I said "whack everyone in there". You must give it a login group, and make sure everyone is in it.

Suggest an answer