How to remove the prefix "Clone" when cloning Issues and Subtasks?

Jason Campbell January 29, 2013

Objective - To elmiinate the "Clone" prefix from each Issue and Sub-Task when cloning an issue. For us, the prefix is unnecessary and complicates the cloning process.

I've seen mention of plug-ins for hosted installs, but nothing about how to modify the Clone settings in Jira on demand.

10 answers

2 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2016

Hey mates, Advanced Settings option is now available in JIRA Cloud! You can customise your own Clone prefix now.

1. Go to Administration > System
  2. In General Configurations, choose Advanced Settings on the top-right corner
  3. Edit your option on jira.clone.prefix key

Cheers,

Ting

Katy McGinnis January 19, 2017

Does this impact the whole JIRA Agile instance (for a copy that has hundreds of projects) or can it be configured for each project?

Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2017

This is applying to all projects. We don't have the feature to customise the prefix for each project at the moment.

Ting

Terry Price January 7, 2021

Ask your Product team to put it on the roadmap to allow at the Project level Delete the CLONE prefix. It is visual noise.

Like # people like this
Michele Mast April 14, 2021

Ting, thank you very much.  Your information was spot on.  For good or bad it is a system wide setting affecting ALL projects and both tasks and sub-tasks.  But I'm in heaven that it's gone now.  The amount of work it created removing the words was incredible.  Thank you again !!

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2021

With our app Deep Clone for Jira it is possible to remove or edit the prefix individually for every cloning action.

If the prefix is the only problem you have while cloning, you might not want to install a Marketplace app.

But if there are other things that could speed up your cloning processes (e.g. Bulk Clone thousands of issues, clone advanced issue content, clone projects, ...), Deep Clone might be a huge time saver for you.

If you have questions or feedback, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support.

MURUGESH S August 2, 2023

hi we are also using Deep clone but i am unable to to do that may i know how to remove CLONE in sumarry after cloning the issue from one project to another

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 3, 2023

Hello @MURUGESH S,

You can remove the summary while cloning issues with Deep Clone for Jira.

Simply uncheck  "Prefix summary" under "Advanced options" in the Deep Clone dialog.

deep-clone-jira_prefix-summary.png

If you want to remove it after the clone, you could try our app Advanced Bulk Edit for Jira. With this app you can replace text in the issue summary. If you replace "CLONE -" with nothing it gets deleted automatically.

advanced-bulk-edit-jira_delete-clone-prefix.png

MURUGESH S August 3, 2023

thank you i got it 

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Thsi is configured by an advanced setting but unfortunately that cannot be modified in onDemand. You might ant to check with Support!

Jason Campbell January 29, 2013

I was afraid that was the answer I'd get....thanks Jobin.

I just don't see the utility in adding the Clone prefix....it creates a lot of unnecessary work for us.

Like Holly Kozminski likes this
Jason Campbell February 4, 2013

Do I need a differnt user account for the Support section? I tried adding a support request, but it keeps prompting me to login and my credentials are not working.

Any advice to actually get in contact w/ support is appreciated.

2 votes
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Jason,

If you open a support case we can remove this from the advanced settings. Open a case from support.atlassian.com

All the best.

1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2013

Jason,

Dave here at Atlassian Support; Unfortunately this is a restricted function in OnDemand and these are not something Support can generally change for you. This is due to a couple things; these are restricted for a reason and should not be changed without good (critical/blocker) reason, plus any change we make to an advanced setting could be overwritten during any of our weekly updates and we will have no way of notifying customers of this change or provide any long-term maintenance of these settings.

Hopefully you can understand our process here, and if these are important to you I would suggest filing a feature request so our developers/PMs can take this into consideration.

Thanks,

-dave

0 votes
Sushant Balajee February 24, 2023

This is a quick and easy solution (using simple export and import) if this is not a common recurring use case. Takes about 2-3 mins to do!

https://thechaosguide.com/remove-clone-prefix-jira/

0 votes
Michele Mast April 14, 2021

Ting, thank you very much.  Your information was spot on.  For good or bad it is a system wide setting affecting ALL projects and both tasks and sub-tasks.  But I'm in heaven that it's gone now.  The amount of work it created removing the words was incredible.  Thank you again !!

0 votes
Zachary Kent April 7, 2013

I was hoping to set up a TEMPLATE project where I can build repeating tasks/subtasks and just clone them as needed but it adds "clone" not only to the task bu all of the sub-tasks. Tacky.

I think writing an app that hits the API might be the only method for OnDemand. You could cycle through every open ticket and look for "Clone -" in the title and edit the title programatically.

Zach

Jason Campbell April 8, 2013

Zach,

Open a ticket at https://jira.atlassian.com/ and the Atlassian team will modify your instance to remove the unnecessary CLONE from your templates.

Good luck!

Jason

Dave
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2014

https://support.atlassian.comis the site, jira.atlassian.comis the public facing bug tracker and is not monitored by support.

Penny Simpson March 26, 2020

I need it changed for my projects only.  I do not have the authorization to change it for our whole company.  Is there a way to do that?

Like jan vasile likes this
0 votes
Pathik Dave March 17, 2013

Folks,

We are also annoyed by this "CLONE" Prefix... we are on OnDemand... can some one suggest some good way/shortcut to get rid of it? It will be really helpful, currently everytime after cloning we need to keep removing it.

Thanks in Advance

Pathik

Jason Campbell April 8, 2013

Pathik,

I can totally relate.....I'm not sure why this "feature" exists in the first place, but removing CLONE by hand is a real pain. Luckily the Atlassian support team can modify things on the server (if you're using the hosted version like I am) to eliminate CLONE for you. Once I posted the ticket, they got back to me and resolved the issue within a day.

Here's the llink to create your own ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/

Good luck!

Jason

0 votes
cbenard1
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Hi Jason,

You'll need to create an account at support.atlassian.com and raise a ticket. Once you've done that if you link the ticket here I'll hop on it right away and get that taken care of for you :)

Thanks

Turner

Suggest an answer