How to remove previous admin from jira-administrators group?

Marcos Martinez February 10, 2015

The previous administrator who originally set up JIRA left the team, and now as new sys-adm I cannot kick him out of the "jira-administrators" group.

Any idea on how to do this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2015

From Editing group membership:

• If the group has the 'JIRA System Administrators' global permission, you cannot edit its membership unless you have the 'JIRA System Administrators' global permission.

Does your user has the 'JIRA System Administrators' permission? You will need it to remove the membership.

Marcos Martinez February 10, 2015

Yes, he does have JIRA SysAdm perms. And that is because he belongs to group "jira-administrators". But I cannot eject him from this group, so I am in a dead-end here...

0 votes
Marcos Martinez September 4, 2015

I found a way to do this, just delete on database level the jira-admin group of the person, then restart JIRA

SELECT * FROM cwd_membership WHERE child_name = 'xxxxxxxxx';

DELETE FROM cwd_membership WHERE id = xxxxx;

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2015

You never worked out why you couldn't do it though - was he the only admin? Were you in the group as well?

Frode Haugland September 4, 2015

No i didnt. 5 more users in this group. I had a theory that only the initial admin could remove from this group, but did not seem like it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2015

I'm curious simply because it sounds like something is broken. It won't let you remove the last (active) admin, but if there are others in the group, it should. Resorting to SQL is ignoring the real problem, but in this case, should be safe.

0 votes
Frode Haugland September 3, 2015

I have a similar problem. I am allowed to perform all operations and click all the correct buttons but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The user remains in the group.

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2015

I cannot kick him out of the "jira-administrators" group.

What exactly do you mean by "cannot" here?  As in it doesn't let you go to the user administration pages at all?  It greys out the options to modify group memberships?  You can attempt to modify the groups, but it gives you an error message (what message)?  It doesn't react at all?  It looks like it does something, but when you go back to check the group is really still there?

You say that your user is in system-administrators, but I'm wondering if you explicitly added your new sys admin to jira-administrators as well?  You haven't said what version you are using, and I would not be surprised if one of the checks is confused by you having system administration privileges but not basic administration privileges.  You cannot remove the last user that has that privilege, so if you have not granted it to yourself, then it won't let you remove it from someone else.

In other words, even though being a system admin allows you to modify permissions, including your own, and even though it implies basic administration in most respects, this particular check may not honour that.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2015

You can't remove the last user, you need to make sure you are in the group to replace him.

Suggest an answer