How to remove/hide an Issue Types from backlog?

Deleted user November 12, 2015

Hi,

We created new issue types that are at the same "level" as Epics. Usually in the Backlog of JIRA Agile, I can only see the Task "level". Unfortunately, our new issue types appear in the backlog even though they are not at the task "level".

Is there a setting to choose which issue types to make visible in JIRA 6?

Thank you

5 answers

1 vote
Darja Odorovska March 17, 2020

I would like to hide sub-tasks from backlog view, BUT leave them visible on the agile board (Scrum and Kan Ban). How can I do it?

Issue that I have came across is that backlog and board views are connected, so if I exclude sub-tasks by modifying board filter for backlog, the same modification applies to the board (Scrum or kan ban).  

Thank You in advance!

1 vote
Arielle Telesmanic April 3, 2019

You can always create a filter to hide certain issues in your backlog.

1. Select the  "Board" drop-down

2. Select "Configure" in the drop-down menu 

3. Add a quick filter using the following JQL :  issuetype != Bug 

4. Go back to your project board and click the new quick filter created in step 3.

Note: You may need to ask a JIRA admin to either do this for you or modify the permission scheme in that project to allow you to create and share quick filters. 

1 vote
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2015

I assume I am missing something but why don't you just use the filter to not include that issue type on your agile board?

Hi, maybe I wasn't clear in my question but what I mean is this: In the Backlog view of Agile, only Tasks and other similar issues types appear. No Epic or Sub-Task appear even though they are not filtered out. I would like to include my new Issue Types to the list of Issue Types that don't appear in the Backlog view.

Like river@savemyenergy.com likes this
0 votes
paul.buencamino September 10, 2020

Set the issues that you want to hide to an issue type that you create like "deferred". Go to board settings, then go to columns.  If that additional issue type is on the backlog column, move it to unmapped.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2015

The backlog doesn't include Epics because you don't plan at that level.

Epics are containers for issues that you are actually going to work on, they don't need planning because they are too large for the sprint, and you should generally have so few of them that you know what order of important they (and hence their stories) take.

The same phrase applies to sub-tasks as well, but for a different reason: You don't need them in the backlog because they don't need to be planned, they live under the task level issues which you do plan.

The backlog will always contain all (open) issues at task/story/issue level, unless you filter them out. But it will never pull in Epics or Sub-tasks, because you don't plan them.

Hi Nic, I understand the reason behind the absence of Epics and Sub-Tasks. The type of issues we created are like Epics, they are containers of a lot of issues. For that reason, we want them out of the Backlog view because they are way too big. We also want to make things as easy as possible for the users. That is why we do not want to have to filter them out when creating the board filter. Is there a way of adding the property that makes Epics invisible to in the Backlog view to those containers that we created? Thanks!

Like river@savemyenergy.com likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2015

Ah, I see, sorry, misunderstood the question. No, I don't know that there is a way to do that. There's nothing in the UI for Jira Software to say "hey, treat this issue type as an Epic"

Darja Odorovska July 1, 2020

Hi Nic,

My issue is that I need sub-tasks on by board (kan ban or scrum), but I dont need them in Backlog. Is there any possibility to do that?

So far if I filter out sub tasks in board filter it affects both - board and backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2020

No, the backlog and board are a view of the same list of issues, they're not separate.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events