How to remove assign to me option in jira ?

shyam July 1, 2017

Hi Team,

In Jira service desk we have an "assign to me" option on view issue screen, in this page we have two options to assign the issue i.e from using "assign" button and also "assign to me" option. I would like to remove only "assign to me" option on view issue screen. For this I tried two options i.e I added "jira.permission.assign = denied" property in workflowbut in this two assign buttons are removed and second option I tried is disable the view.issue.ops.bar.assign.link module in "issue operations plugin" (system plugins). But in this also two assign options are gone. So how can I achieve this customization. And also I would like to remove the "share this issue by emailing other users" icon also on view issue screen.

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Shyam.

2 answers

0 votes
shyam July 5, 2017

I tried to disable the "assign to me" function in JiraWebActionSupport.properties file. In this file I commented that function module, then the name "assign to me" changed to "'issue.operations.assign.tome.short" on view screen, after that I tried to disable the "'issue.operations.assign.tome.short" class in back-end code. I modified some files in back-end code. But I am unable to get the result. Please check the files that I modified in code.

1.   ./atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/includes/jira/field/templates/assigneeField.soy
  2.  ./ atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/field/assignee-edit.vm
  3.  ./atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/system-issueoperations-plugin.xml
  4. ./ atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties
  5.  ./links/target/container/tomcat8x/cargo-jira-home/webapps/jira/includes/jira/field/templates/assigneeField.soy
  6. ./links/target/container/tomcat8x/cargo-jira-home/webapps/jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/field/assignee-edit.vm 
  7.  ./links/target/container/tomcat8x/cargo-jira-home/webapps/jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/field/assignee-edit.vm
  8. links/target/container/tomcat8x/cargo-jira-home/webapps/jira/WEB-INF/classes/system-issueoperations-
  9. plugin.xml

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2017

The link is a convenience to make life easier for your users.  The only way to remove it without code change is to make the user un-assignable and/or unable to assign issues, which will of course affect their ability to be assigned or assign issues globally.

The share option is much the same, although there are no permissions involved.

shyam July 10, 2017

Hi Nic,

I agree with your suggestion and we have tried convencing the customer on the same but there are not convenced. So we are looking for a way to get rid of that extra functionality. We have tried removing the code in system-issueoperations-plugin.xml and it worked in windows environment but not in linux environment. It would be great if you could lend your helping hands on this functionality.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2017

I'm really not sure, I don't know why it would work in one OS and not another.

Are there other differences between the two systems?

shyam July 11, 2017

Hi Nic,

Yes..we are also worrying with this, we have Jira7.3.4 version in windows os and in linux we are using Jira7.3.7, remainging things are same. Is the problem is version difference or any other. Please give suggestions on this.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

I don't know.  I would not expect a version difference between 7.3.4 and 7.3.7 to affect this, but I would want to test it.

shyam July 11, 2017

Ok Nic, please look into this customization.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2017

No, I don't have time to fiddle around with a minor difference in coding for free.

On top of that, I really can't recommend you implement this, as I said before.

shyam July 12, 2017

Hi Nic,

We added some code in announcement banner, it's working fine. "Assign-to-me" option is removed on view screen. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2017

Glad it'll be minimal complexity to remove this downgrade.  And very good that it won't affect your upgrades or support (hacking code does)

Suggest an answer